Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: EasyTouch Automation panel and landscape lighting?

1. Back To Top    #1

EasyTouch Automation panel and landscape lighting?

Does anyone know if and how a landscape lighting transformer can be connected to one of the circuits on the EasyTouch panel to be controlled via the panel/smartphone app?

Most transformers I've seen have a 120V plug (either plug in or direct wire) and no other control (they usually use a built in timer or photocell). Are there transformers that have a wire to connect to an external controller (EasyTouch in this case)?

Thanks for any help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: EasyTouch Automation panel and landscape lighting?

Hardwired transformers are fairly easy to find, at least mail order. Big box hardware stores tend to focus on transformers with plugs, but even there most places will have hardwired options as well. It is also possible to wire the output of one of the EasyTouch relays to an outlet box and plug the transformer in there.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason. I actually went outside and took the cover off the panel. If I'm looking at it right, I should be able to just hardwire the transformer to one of the AUX relays and that's that, seems pretty straightforward, right? Exactly the same way that the pool light is wired to the relay already.

Or I should be able to rewire that GFI outlet that's already there to the relay and then plug the transformer into the outlet, but I don't really see the advantage to that.

4. Back To Top    #4

Our plumber/electrician hardwired our low voltage transformer into one of the aux relays in our iaqualink panel. It can now be controlled through the iphone app. I would assume your panel would be similar.
    36 x 20, 3-1/2 to 8ft depth, 100 per. 20k gallon IG pool. Jandy Flopro 2hp vsp,
    Jandy 460 sq ft cartridge filter, Jandy Purelink SWC, Jandy Iaqualink control panel, Barracuda MX8
    Irish Mint Pebblesheen, Dive Rock, (2) 24" cascading water falls, LED pool light.
    36" Gas firepit with 1/4" Azuria and Cobalt Blue reflective glass. Our Pool

5. Back To Top    #5

I just cut the plug from the transformer and then hard wired to an available relay on the Easytouch panel
    NW Houston: 25K gunite pool & spa and pebble finish. Travertine deck.
    Pentair pumps: VS (pool); 2HP & 1.5HP (water features); booster pump
    400K gas heater; 520 cartridge filter; IntelliTouch + 8 function wireless

6. Back To Top    #6

HX_Guy

Our PB mentioned landscape lighting could be wired into the panel and set up on a run schedule. If you don't mind could you post some photos of your project?
    Finally completed March 2014
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
    Thanks Jason. I actually went outside and took the cover off the panel. If I'm looking at it right, I should be able to just hardwire the transformer to one of the AUX relays and that's that, seems pretty straightforward, right? Exactly the same way that the pool light is wired to the relay already.

Or I should be able to rewire that GFI outlet that's already there to the relay and then plug the transformer into the outlet, but I don't really see the advantage to that
    Either of those should be fine.

In principal you want a GFI on landscaping lights, even though GFI is only minimally effective on transformers, so if you aren't using that outlet for anything else that might be the best/simplest approach, but again either way will be fine (unless you have a prickly inspector who requires a GFI).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I just added a GFCI outlet to one of the relays. Super easy!
    pool Info
    13,000 gallons inground w/ 6 jet spa
    Easy Touch 8 Panel, S7M120 Sta-Rite filter, SQS1202R pump motor, IC401 Chlorinator, SR400NA Sta-Rite heater