Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris 280 Newbie Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris 280 Newbie Question

So we just invested a lot of money to put this hole in the ground and I have a dumb question. The Polaris 280 seems to be doing the job cleaning the pool, however, it seems to be at a weird angle all the time - the front end is tipped forward and the back never touches the bottom. Is that normal and if not how do I fix it?
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Polaris 280 Newbie Question

Quote Originally Posted by Readyforapool View Post
    So we just invested a lot of money to put this hole in the ground and I have a dumb question. The Polaris 280 seems to be doing the job cleaning the pool, however, it seems to be at a weird angle all the time - the front end is tipped forward and the back never touches the bottom. Is that normal and if not how do I fix it?
    Try sliding the football shaped float forward a little bit.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine does this now but for the most part usually when it's idle. But it didn't the first 2.5 years or so of using the 280. I've tried adjusting the float but it does not help. I also replaced the float and it did not help. I've assumed there is air trapped somewhere but after taking it apart I don't know where the air could be trapped. Good luck.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I would try adjusting the "thrust jet" on the back. That does it for me when the wheels are not making contact. It may take lots of trial and error to find what setting is best for you. FYI http://edc.poolsupplyworld.com/wpdf/f5-manual.pdf
    19' x 37' Freeform IG; 25,500 gallons; max depth 8'6" with diving board; sun bench and swim out shelf. PebbleSheen Blue Granite Finish; Noble Tile--NVSA616 Peacock; Sandstone Retaining Wall; Oklahoma Flagstone Coping, Aggregate Deck; Small Water Feature w/ Moss Rock (70% flats and 30% boulders) Jandy Stealth 2HP Pump and CV460 Filter; AquaCal SQ156 Heat Pump/Chiller; Polaris 380 pressure cleaner w/ Halcyon boost pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok thanks, I'll try that.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

6. Back To Top    #6

I've adjusted the thrust jet on the back as well. But the back of mine still floats above the front end when the 280 is off.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Thought I'd let you know, I adjusted the float on the back and he now keeps his wheels on the "floor" while running and also freaks the dogs out when he sprays them while climbing the walls! Thanks for the help!