Replacing Superflo 1.5Hp Pump...No "B" Terminal on wiring forNew Pump

Feb 15, 2014
texas
Hello,

I've recently purchased what I thought was an identical replacement pump, but as I study the wiring connections...

the old pump had L1, L2, A, B, and ground terminals.
the new pump has only L1, L2, A, and ground terminals.

What should I do with the white wire that was connected to terminal "B" on the old pump?

Thanks for reviewing!

You need to look at the wiring diagram for each pump and find corresponding connection points. The wiring diagram is almost always printed on a metal plate which is attached to the outside of the motor.

Are either of the pumps (old and new) two speed pumps?

You need to look at the wiring diagram for each pump and find corresponding connection points. The wiring diagram is almost always printed on a metal plate which is attached to the outside of the motor.

Are either of the pumps (old and new) two speed pumps?

Thanks Jason. The wiring diagram on the old pump was easy to read, the new one...mostly illegible. Spent a good portion of the afternoon looking online for a better copy but had no luck. I'll attach a picture of what i'm seeing...IMG_0236[1].jpg

Is your supply voltage 120 or 240?

What colors are the supply wires?

Can you post a picture of the back of the old motor where the wires connected and also for the new motor?

Can you post a picture of the full label from the old and new motor?

The photo you posted shows three connections: Line, Neutral, and Ground. Those correspond to L1, L2, and Ground when using a 230 volt configuration. And that should correspond to the three wires you have to connect to the pump. When setting up 115 volt connections black is normally Line (or L1), white is Neutral (or L2), and green is Ground. For 230 volt setups L1 and L2 are usually both black, though they can also be red or blue, and are interchangeable, while ground remains green.

Is your supply voltage 120 or 240?

What colors are the supply wires?

Can you post a picture of the back of the old motor where the wires connected and also for the new motor?

Can you post a picture of the full label from the old and new motor?

James, sorry for the late reply. I've been out of town the past few days. I won't be able to take pictures tonight but can do so tomorrow. Supply voltage is 240. The supply wires are essentially bare copper at the terminals..don't see a lot if insulation beyond them but they may be black. Pretty thick gage, though. Terminal A has a brown wire. Terminal B has a white wire. The ground wire is green.

Thanks, Jason. I've been out of town so sorry for the late follow-up. I appreciate the follow-up, and feel comfortable with what you mention above, but my concern is what to do with the white wire that used to connect to terminal "B" on the old pump. My best guess is to not connect it to anything, but I don't want to guess wrong with electricity.

For a one speed, you should have two power wires that connect to L1 and L2 and a green wire that connects to the ground screw. I think that the other wires are the wires that go into the pump. You shouldn't have to do anything with those. Have you disconnected the power from the old pump?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are the brown and white wires internal to the pump? Or do they go somewhere outside of the pump? It is fairly common to have additional wires that are internal to pump that are used for things like setting what voltage the pump should run on. That kind of wire remains with the old pump, i.e. does not transfer to the new pump. If they connect to something outside of the pump you need to figure out what they do. About the only possibility I can think of is an external switch for a two speed pump, but you didn't mention it being a two speed, nor did the diagram look like a two speed diagram.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.