Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: temp reads 177 but thermometer says 65

1. Back To Top    #1

temp reads 177 but thermometer says 65

I have a Jandy Aqua Link system that is about 6 years old. This week the temp in the pool strated reading 177. It really is about 65. Is this a problem with the sensor (looks like it is held into the plumbing pipe from the pump with a clamp) or is there somethig wrong with the Jandy system (wouldn't be the first time!).

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: temp reads 177 but thermometer says 65

This is, usually, the temp sensor.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

As Qwaxalot said, a bad sensor is the most common cause, but shorts in the wiring can also give that error.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

If you want to test the sensor, it should be a 10 k thermister. You can use an ohm meter to see if the resistance matches the temperature. You can Google 10 k thermister chart to get the values. 177 f corresponds to1234 ohms.

5. Back To Top    #5

Before I order one no one has one in stock, the Jandy control box outside does display the correct temp. Does it get it's read from the probe or from the salt/flow sensor?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

The pool water temp is a reading from the pool temp sensor that as you described is plugged into the pipe by your pump. That is where your Jandy system gets the reading from. Now you say later that the outdoor controller has the correct temp. If that is so, then you really can't say the sensor is bad. Is the bad temp reading displaying on a wired indoor control unit?

A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you.

7. Back To Top    #7

The bad reading is on the Jandy handheld wireless device. It is displaying the correct outdoor temperature which I think is coming from a probe that just dangles below the outdoor control panel. Where does the handheld get its reading from? The inline probe? Since there is a salt generator with three electordes in it is one of them where the Outdoor unit is getting its reading from or do they just sense salt and flow?

Thanks for the help, this is really confusing!