Pumping to waste

pharpe

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
So I think I understand this. If I want to vacuum or pump water out of my pool I should set my system to waste and that will bypass the filter completely and pump water out of the waste pipe. This is different from backwash where the water run through the filer in reverse and comes out the waste port. Is this correct?

My question is how do I set it to do this? There is only one rotary valve on the filter and it just says lock and open. I'm trying to pump water out of the pool.

IMG_20140214_163339.jpg

IMG_20140214_163354.jpg

Hold on there ... you only have a push/pull type backwash valve. That does NOT have a waste function like the multi-valves do. I would also NOT recommend using the backwash method to drain a bunch of water out of the pool as you may get debris collecting inside of your DE grids.

You could add yourself a waste valve. In the horizontal pipe coming out of the pump, install a pool 3-way valve. With one port going to an open pipe. Then you could close off the pipe to the filter and everything would go out the new waste pipe.

Or you would have to replace your backwash valve with a rotary multi-valve.

Or you will need to rent/buy a submersible pump.

What I have done is remove the grids from the filter, closed the valve to the return and opened the drain to pump water out. Check and see if you have a drain plug on your filter. My Pentair DE filter has a 1 1/2" drain plug on the lower side of the filter casing. The opening is threaded and I added a nipple and discharge hose whenever I need to drain water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.