Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New in ground Shotcrete Pool Build in South Florida.

1. Back To Top    #1

New in ground Shotcrete Pool Build in South Florida.

After lurking in these forums for months and learning a ton, we are finally about to break ground. Its been a lot of motivation to watch all those spectacular builds go from a patch of dirt/grass to a unique designs. Our dig is scheduled for Wednesday February 19th. As our son turns a month old. Lets just hope it comes out as great as the builds shared here. Here is what we have so far, but we are open to suggestions and ideas:

Here are the specs:

Perimeter: 168ft (Pool & Spa)
    Dimensions: 20'x40' rectangular, 8'x10' sun deck, and 8'x8' negative edge glass tile spa raised 24"
    Pool Depth: 3' - 6'
    Volume: 29,407 gal (Pool & Spa)
    Surface Area: 895 sqft
    Shotcrete: 3500psi
    Pool Walls & Slab Thickness: 8"
    Spa Walls Thickness: 10"
    Decking: 1600 sqft of Travertine French Pattern Walnut Color to include refinishing existing Terrace.
    Coping: 12"x24" Travertine coping Walnut Color
    Finish: Marbletite Marquis series Quarts
    Pool Returns: 4 Looped
    Spa Jets: 8 Jets
    Skimmers: 2
    Pipe Size: 2.5"
    Vac Line: Yes
    Valves: Jandy neverlube

Pump: Pentair 3HP VS pump
    Filter: Pentair CCP 520 Cartridge filter
    SWCG: Pentair IC-60
    Lights: (2) Pentair Intellibrite 5G LED pool lights, (1) Pentair Intellibrite 5G LED spa light, (1) Pentair ColorCascade LED Bubbler
    Blower: 2 HP
    Heat Pump: Pentair Ultratemp 140K BTU

Automation: Pentair Intellitouch Load Center with i7+3 Personality kit, Pentair Screenlogic 2 controlled by iPad, (3) Pentair Valve Actuators.

Water Features: (4) Pentair MagicStream Deck Jet II's, (1) Pentair ColorCascade Bubbler on sundeck.

Additional: (2) Light posts and (2) GFCI's in the rear perimeter of the pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New in ground Shotcrete Pool Build in South Florida.

Welcome to the forum Northrider. Glad you found us and have been enjoying the forum.

Looks like you have a very nice plan, and we'll be anxious to see your progress.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Very cool.. Looks like a bigger version of our design. We are also having the English Walnut travertine put in as our deck choice.

Looking forward to the build.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the welcome guys. We are super exited, and to top it off yesterday I notice a neighbor's yard being excavated for a free form pool.

Vegas kid: super nice design. Love the color selections. Looking forward to see the finished product.

5. Back To Top    #5

Noticed your heater at only 140K BTU...do you plan on only using it for the spa per the schematic? I'm guessing you might be able to bump up the heater at minimal cost to help with reducing the heating time for the spa. You could get that bad boy toasty in 20 min with a larger heater.

Also, do you want to swim laps? If so, you may need to take out some steps to allow for turning aro

6. Back To Top    #6

It's actually not a heater but a heat pump. We just want to use the pool year round more than anything. Most pools down here don't have anything. It was advised that since the air temp is above 45-50 deg year round that would be our best option, and also that we don't have any gas on the property... It is my understanding that's the biggest heat pump pentair makes, I know heater ratings go a lot higher. I do like the idea of getting the spa hot and ready in a flash but to burry a gas tank and run lines is too much. Maybe something for the future... and add gas tiki torches.

7. Back To Top    #7

Looks great! I look forward to following your progress. Out of curiosity, how long did it take to get from signing the contract to permits approved to the scheduled dig date?
    Swimming!: 19x32 IG rectangular pool, 22,500 gallons; 3' - 6.5'; open spa w/ 6 jets; raised wall w/ 1 sheer descent and 2 minijets, 2 color-changing LED pool lights, 1 spa light; Jandy 2 1/2 HP 2 speed Pump, Jandy cartridge filter (320 SQFT), Diamondbrite Cool Blue

8. Back To Top    #8

Hey Jro. I'm sure I took longer than most due to having to wait to do a babyshower in the back yard, and then waiting for our son to be born. I would say 4 months to the day. I purposely delayed everything but once we approved the drawings and submitted the plans for permitting, took about 3 weeks for permit, about another week or so for marking utilities and dig schedule.

Was your experience any different?
    How is the relocation of your utilities going?

9. Back To Top    #9

Congrats on your new son, Northrider!

Sounds like you are right on schedule -- we were given a 3 week estimate to receive permits so I'm happy to hear that was your experience.

As for us, we are currently redesigning the pool. We're going to relocate the electric and telephone, but we cannot move the main gas line.
    Swimming!: 19x32 IG rectangular pool, 22,500 gallons; 3' - 6.5'; open spa w/ 6 jets; raised wall w/ 1 sheer descent and 2 minijets, 2 color-changing LED pool lights, 1 spa light; Jandy 2 1/2 HP 2 speed Pump, Jandy cartridge filter (320 SQFT), Diamondbrite Cool Blue

10. Back To Top    #10

Northrider, congrats on the baby and pool! Good luck on the dig tomorrow! Send pics!
    Build is Done!: 18'x40' diving pool, depth 3'6" x 9', 104' perimeter, ~24k gallons, spa (6 jets), raised wall (3 scuppers), tanning ledge, Pentair IntelliFlo 3050 VS+SVRS, Pentair Clean & Clear 520 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 BTU heater, Polaris QT 1.5 HP blower, Pentair Intellichlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite 5G lights, Pentair EasyTouch 8 with Screenlogic2, 504 sq ft Roman Slate textured deck, Aqua Blue StoneScapes finish

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you guys. Our son is the best thing to ever happen to us by far. The dig got moved till tomorrow Thursday because of not finishing digging another pool in the expected time. No big deal. But I sure will post pics of it.

12. Back To Top    #12

Day one of digging didn't start till friday and this is how far we got.. the wednesday date was postponed till thursday, and the machine that was brought out on thursday was not strong enough for the lime rock. PB says we might have another day and a half to two days of digging.

13. Back To Top    #13

Great pictures. Keep them coming!
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

14. Back To Top    #14

You've started - how exciting!

15. Back To Top    #15

It is super exiting, you will be there in no time Jro. Can't wait till its done ( about 3 months total ).
    Thanks bobodaclown trying to get the most pics i can, I'll be sure to keep the build updated.

After 2.5 days of hard work the excavation phase is complete. Framing and Steel is next as well as the main drain and spa plumbing.

Spa Area

16. Back To Top    #16

Did you encounter any rock? Doesn't look like it from the pics. I love the ring of trees around the perimeter.

17. Back To Top    #17

its actually all limerock. the first digger that was brought out didn't even make a dent. Had to come back the next day with a bigger machine. The operator was still saying that the bottom was very, very hard. The trees are all avocados. where the house actually sits used to be an avocado grove, previous owner divided all the land into acre parcels and build homes. I think in total we have 58 trees left.

Today they are framing and installing rebar. Crew states it might take about 2-3 days to complete the job. Ill post pictures later on tonight of todays progress.

18. Back To Top    #18

Framing Day 1

19. Back To Top    #19

Looking good! Interesting they did framing around it. I am not sure if PBs tend to do that around here (TX - mine did not, nor have I seen it in many pics) ... just for areas that are raised.
    Build Complete! : 111ft pool + 8.5x5.5ft spa (12" raised), ~22k gallons, Shotcrete, Stonescapes MiniPebble (Aqua Blue), 3 scuppers, 3 bubblers, Large Tanning Ledge, Long Bench, Pentair: Intelliflow 3050 VS, 1.5HP WhisperFlow (scuppers), Quad 100 DE filter, MasterTemp 400k, IC60 SWG, Intellichem+Acid Tank, 2HP Silencer Blower, travertine decking (~680ft2), dry stack flagstone raised wall / spa spillway

20. Back To Top    #20

Yeah, I was going to ask the same question.
    I rarely see pool formed unless its for raised areas, negative/wet edges etc

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast