Dallas, TX
I just got my kit, tested for the first time and my number seem pretty bad

CL 1.2
CC .02
PH 7.0
TA 30
CH 600
CYA 90

Pool Math is telling me I need to replace 56% of my water. I have a pool company maintaining this. I expected needing some adjustment but this seems extreme. I ran all the tests twice just to be sure. Pool is clear and no algae.

Pool service companies do not follow our recommendations. They try to only visit once a week and thus maintain the chemistry different. Are you planning on taking over?

Certainly the pH and TA are too low and CYA is too high (are they using tablets?). The CH is also getting up there, are they using cal hypo granular chlorine?

If you are taking over, we can get you straightened out, but mixing our advice with their service is not going to work.

I am taking over. I was planing to finish out the month that I paid for of service and then go on my own. I was hoping the pool chemistry would be in better shape when I took over though. They are scheduled to come out today. Should I try to get them to straighten it out or just have them clean and not touch the chemistry?

I have no idea what chemicals they are using. I can ask today.

I would ask them to do a full set of tests and have them at least correct the pH and TA (and low FC) and find out what they have been using.

Likely you are going to want to replace 50% of the water to get the CYA in line and to reduce the CH some.

I watched him do the tests and he got about the same numbers as me except for the TA which his test showed 60 where mine was 30. He said the CYA was high but it would be fine because he wouldn't put tabs in. He couldn't test the CH. He didn't speak very good English so I kinda gave up trying to communicate with him since I'm going to be doing it myself from now on anyway. So now to drain the pool I guess. Should I do that right away or can it wait for the weather to warm up a bit?

By not adding tablets all that does is make sure the CYA does not rise more. It is going to stay high until you replace water.

Did they raise the pH at least?

Up to you when you want to replace the water, less chance of algae when the water is colder. Until then you need to be maintaining a FC level of at LEAST 7ppm due to the high CYA to prevent algae from starting. See the FC/CYA Chart.

I rented a pump and drained half the water yesterday. I just finished refilling and turned the pumps and cleaner on this morning. I was planning to let that run for about an hour and then do a full set of tests. With all the new water do I need to SLAM the pool or do I just try to get it to the recommended levels?

PoolMath will tell you what to do to achieve whatever numbers you enter as the target. You must have entered a lower CH or CYA as the target.

Those look fine to me other than the FC being too low and the TA a little low. You can use a 10ml water sample fit the FAS-DPD test to save reagent so reach drop is 0.5ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Getting my supplies. 22 pounds of baking soda :-O

Casher at the grocery must have thought I was nuts.
e7ajesu7.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You may never need that borax in the pool. But no harm having it on hand. What are you planning to target for TA? I would raise it to about 60-70ppm and see how the pH behaves.

You may never need that borax in the pool. But no harm having it on hand.
Pool Math said I needed 30 oz or Borax to get to 7.5 PH but I was going to hold off putting that in until I got my TA up.

What are you planning to target for TA? I would raise it to about 60-70ppm and see how the pH behaves.
Yep I think the 60-70 ppm range for the TA is a good place to start.
I was going to target 100 TA but I'll change that target to 60-70 on your recommendations.

I have to leave town tomorrow morning so I was planning to have the wife put in half a gallon of bleach a day until I get back Thursday. I have no idea what my pool consumes since I'm just getting started. Does that sound like a reasonable number to start with? I have a Stenner pump on order.

I wouldn't do anything with the PH. PH usually increases on its own.

Go ahead and get your TA up to 60-70 ppm. Then you can see what your PH does over time.

I don't know how much FC your pool consumes either. 2 quarts a day should be good this time of the year. You'll have to test it and keep it in range for your CYA level. Can you show your wife how to do a quick test ? What is your pool water temp and is it covered or not ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.