Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Whisperflo Impeller has a mushroom end ??

1. Back To Top    #1

Whisperflo Impeller has a mushroom end ??

All,
    I'm rebuilding / resealing my whisperflo pool pump and after taking the impeller seal off I noticed that the impeller has a mushroom end. It looks like it may have been rubbing on the seal??

What do you guys think, is this going to be an issue if I just pop a new seal in it ??

Thanks,
    LarryF_In_So_Cal

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Whisperflo Impeller has a mushroom end ??

Sorry I don't know Larry, but maybe a bump will get you an answer.

Welcome to TFP.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Since that recess actually seals against the rubber of the seal ring it may leak if you use it. There's only one sure way to know. Put it back together and see if it leaks.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Get a new seal & gasket set, and new impeller.

5. Back To Top    #5

I think that is just the ceramic end of the seal that is stuck to the impeller. You should be able to remove it.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Whisperflo Impeller has a mushroom end ?? -- Green impeller work?

All,

I'm getting ready to re-seal my pump. I have a friend who runs a pool cleaning business and he happened to give me a new impeller.

I'm wondering if it will work with my pump. I have a Whisperflo WFE-4 with a 1 HP motor. The impeller that I'm replacing is black, the one from my friend is green, and has larger water openings. See picture below.

Does anyone know what size impeller this is? and can it work with my 1 HP motor?

what would happen if I were to use it? Could I ruin my motor? And or would the water flow be reduced?

Please let me know.

7. Back To Top    #7

Are there any part numbers stamped on it?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

Are there any part numbers stamped on it?

No, I checked with super strong flashlight as well ad a magnifying glass, There are no visible markings on this impeller. It is however, a greenish tan color.

Thanks,

LarryF_In_So_Cal

9. Back To Top    #9

Unless it exactly matched the existing impeller, I wouldn't use it.

You can post a set of complete dimensions and someone may be able to tell you what it actually came off of.
    Outer Diameter
    Hub diameter
    Suction ring ID
    Suction ring OD
    Vane width
    Etc.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

The vane width of the impeller on the left appears to be larger than the one on the right which means it came from a larger pump on a larger motor so would likely overdrive the current motor. The diameters are about the same which means max head is about the same but that is typical for a pump line. Usually, only the smallest pump in the line (3/4 FRHP) has a smaller diameter impeller and a lower maximum head.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Horizon parts had a tool on their website that told you what impeller it is from the measurements of it.