It's about time in SE Georgia!

Jul 11, 2012
SE Georgia
Well, I have been a member of the forum for a couple years now and never posted. Just browsed and watched everyone building their pools and reading, reading, reading!

Up until now we have had an above ground 16' round intex pool... It has been super but my wife and I both have always wanted an inground pool. So, over the last couple years I have been reading and researching (this is where trouble free pool comes into play) and meeting with Pool Builders. I have talked with several people that I know that have pools to see what people really do and don't like about how they did their pools. One of the most common things that everyone said was... GET LOTS OF CONCRETE!

Well, it looks like the time has finally come for us to get our inground pool! On Tuesday this week we signed the contract for our pool. If all goes as planned the digging will start in the middle of March! We are soooo excited! It almost doesn't seem real yet... (our pool builder said that it will hit us when he starts messing up our yard... :) ) I think I can deal with the mess for the pool.

This is roughly what we're looking at doing... it's pretty basic but we're Super Excited...

18x36 Rectangle 2' Radius Corners
Liner over steps
Easytouch w/ Salt
1 LED Light
Sand Filter
SuperFlo Pump
2" Plumbing
18" Deep End Seat/Bench in Corner
Diving Board with U frame
Approx 1250sq ft of Brushed Concrete

When we start the build, I will keep everyone updated and add lots of pics...

About a year ago I purchased "Realtime Landscaping Pro 2012" and this is a couple of the shots of what I have come up with...

2-12-14_BoonePool.jpg

2-12-14_BoonePool_TopDown.jpg

It will definitely happen fast. It is unbelievable how fast they can build a pool these days. Our dig started last March 5th and on April 6th we had water.

I look forward to seeing the pictures!

Thanks for the comments!

We are planning for a slide(Turbo Twister). The pool builder is going to go ahead and plumb for it but we are going to wait a couple years to purchase it. Our kids are just a little too young to be comfortable with it.

When we do the fire pit, I don't know if we will do gas or not... We will probably go with wood... it helps with the bugs... :)

We put in a gas firepit and if I had to do it all over again I would not do it. Flame is impossible to see in the daylight and with young kids can be a hazard. I should of done wood in hindsight.

Well, After a few months delay... mutual agreement with us and our pool builder. (He is getting new concrete forms, so we will have concrete walls under our liner instead of polymer walls.) We're also getting a bigger bench than we planned because of the forms that he is getting. We will hopefully be starting our build this coming week permitting that the forms show up. The pool builder came out and laid out the pool on Friday. And today someone came by to dig a "test" hole to see where the water table was. (Looks like they will be putting in several well points, hit water at 4 feet...)

Here is a before shot of our back yard that I took off of a 14ft ladder. After being inspired by "Slurpee98" and his day by day time lapse videos... I decided I just had to do that too... :) I am mounting my camera to the top of the ladder so it can take pictures of the build and make some time lapse videos of my own. I hope the ladder will give a good enough angle on my yard to really capture the build. I guess I will find out.

Please say a prayer and keep your fingers crossed that everything will go as planned and they start this week!

BeforePool.JPG

Oooooo weeeeeee! Good Luck and keep the pics coming!!! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you explain to me what well points are? I'm clueless.
Where 'bouts in SE Georgia?

I'm in Darien, very small town on the coast right above Brunswick.

A well point is basically a very shallow well. They put in 12 well points that are anywhere from 8ft-10ft deep around the deep end of the pool. They tied all of them together and ran it to a pump that they will leave running during the duration of the build to keep the hole dry. When the pool is full they will turn off the pump and the well points will not be needed until I change the liner or the pool has to be drained for some reason. I have really sandy soil and a very high water table. They dug a "test" hole to see where the water table was to determine if the well points were needed or not and they found water at around 4ft, so well points were definitely needed. When the turned on the pump I was really surprised to see how much water they were pumping out. And it is really clean water which surprised me even more...

A well point is basically a very shallow well. They put in 12 well points that are anywhere from 8ft-10ft deep around the deep end of the pool. They tied all of them together and ran it to a pump that they will leave running during the duration of the build to keep the hole dry. When the pool is full they will turn off the pump and the well points will not be needed until I change the liner or the pool has to be drained for some reason. I have really sandy soil and a very high water table. They dug a "test" hole to see where the water table was to determine if the well points were needed or not and they found water at around 4ft, so well points were definitely needed. When the turned on the pump I was really surprised to see how much water they were pumping out. And it is really clean water which surprised me even more...

Ohhhhhh~- I have *one* of those next to my pool....but no pump or anything. Just very large round hunk of PVC pipe directly down to the gravel underneath my pool. I never knew that was named a well point or that folks get more than just one. I was just told that it was there if ever we needed to drop a sump pump down to there to drain water. Its always been entirely dry from what I can tell. Thanks for the info.

Ohhhhhh~- I have *one* of those next to my pool....but no pump or anything. Just very large round hunk of PVC pipe directly down to the gravel underneath my pool. I never knew that was named a well point or that folks get more than just one. I was just told that it was there if ever we needed to drop a sump pump down to there to drain water. Its always been entirely dry from what I can tell. Thanks for the info.

Sure. No problem.

If I remember right, the pool builder told me that he would either do well points or a french drain, its all according to what the water table is in someones yard. The french drain would have been rocks under the bottom of the pool. Considering the water table is very high in my yard, they put in the well points that would dry out all around the deep end. I think the french drain would have been used under the pool if the water table had been lower because there would have been a lot less water to deal with. I don't know if there would have been a pipe to pump water from the french drain or not. I will try to ask. You saying that there is gravel under your pool and that is what the pipe goes to sounds to me like it is more of a french drain with a way to pump it out, not well points. The well points they put in my yard shoot down around the pool and do not have gravel in each hole. It looks to me that the way they positioned the well points, the water will never make it to the deep end of the pool. Basically the well points will prevent it. Also, when the pool has water in it, they will unhook the pump that is hooked up to the well points and cap it off, leaving well point pipes in the ground if they are ever needed again.

Well... was way too tired to update last night so here it goes.

Started digging a little after 8:30AM EST. At around 30 min into digging we had ground water coming in to the shallow end... Not a good thing... So long story short they dug the entire pool at 4ft. put in all new well points all around the entire pool inside the hole, right outside where the walls will sit. All of the well points are now going down at least 14 ft from ground level. As of this morning everything looks like it is drying out the way it is supposed to. The PB pulled out all of the original well points and thinks that one of them was sucking air and it was causing them not to lower the ground water around the pool like it is supposed to. All the new well points seem to be pumping way more water and it looks like we are back on schedule. They will be back on either Monday or Tuesday to form up the walls and dig the deep end. YAY! :D

Time Lapse of the dig... if you look closely towards the end of the video you will see the ground water starting to pool up.
http://youtu.be/IQnr2lxM0jo

Here are a few pics...

Ground Water puddling.
2014-05-16+10.30.20.jpg

The mud pit/pond that we had going on while drilling all new well points.
2014-05-16+13.28.18.jpg

The hole Today! NO WATER! That means the well points are working!
2014-05-17+08.31.33.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.