Pool backwash is draining into our septic, advice please!

Sep 1, 2010
We have a large IG pool that is about 3 years old, as is our septic system. After having problems with our toilets/showers not draining twice in the past 6 months, we had it roto rootered and a camera put down our sewer line and they saw that there was a mortar like substance partially blocking the line. Turns out the pool builder connected the backwash to the septic line at a 90m degree angle and at that juncture is where they found the substance. It is hard as cement and I assume it is DE that has settled and solidified over time. Has anyone else run into this issue? Can you give me guidance/insight on this? Is it common for pool builders to do this, or against code I am assuming? Unfortunately we have no recourse with the pool builder because they have gone out of business to no one's surprise.

The septic company told me that I need to have that piece of line replaced and have the backwash line diverted elsewhere. Suggestions?

I would NEVER suggest that a DE filter be backwashed into a septic system ... All that DE is certainly going to clog up things. Hopefully it is only in the tank and did not manage to get out into the leach field and clog things up out there too.

I did have the backwash line removed and connected to a drain which goes down to the street. I guess there is apparently a belly in the septic line and they need to replace it. Has anyone ever heard of DE settling and becoming hard like mortar? We will see what is really going on when they dig up the septic line this week.

I am concerned that the DE will now settle at the bottom of the yard drain it is now connected to and will clog up that line as well. Maybe it won't be a problem as long as the line is graded properly?

I will look into the Fiber Clear, have never heard of it before.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.