Choosing new cartridge filter with pump upgrade in future

May 3, 2013
Ok my replaster job has turned into a nightmare. I am dealing with a Pool Co who's owner doesn't think he should have to check his workers quality. So many stupid problems that could have easily been squashed are now turning into nightmares.

Anyway. they go to set up pool after plaster and tell me filter (DE) is a cartridge filter and doesn't need to be cleaned. He then tells me it is a cartridge filter. Then comes back next dayand tells me he is going to clean it after talking to boss. After filter leaks and pool is beyond filthy.

They send someone else who now agrees it is DE filter disassembles for the 4th time replaces 2 grids and says good to go. 10 minutes after he leaves filter is leaking bad and and there are bubbles in pool. Filter was working perfect up until 1 day before shut off for replaster.

I hire independent to come look at filter. Tells me that valve in filter is damages and needs replacing. Better off replacing entire filter with cartridge.

Ok I have an old pump AO Smith? 3/4 HP. Pool is 22,000 gallons with zero add ons. Just a vac that runs off skimmer.

I want to install filter myself. I want to make this a one time purchase and with that in mind want to size to current and possible new variable/2 speed pump. Is this possible considering the different hp or flow of pumps? For current set up I have been told 150-200 filter?

Thoughts?

With a cartridge filter, bigger is better so you really wouldn't want to go with anything less than 200 sq-ft and 300 sq-ft would probably be better. I have 425 sq-ft on a 20k pool and I clean my filter only once per year and I don't even need to that often.

So are you only switching to cartridge because that is what someone told you to do? The type of filter does not really matter, it is all personal preference.

If you go with a cartridge, I would suggest you add a 3-way valve between the pump and the filter so that you will have the ability to vacuum to waste if so desired.

Filter has a valve on outlet? side which several people tell me is a band aid fix and sign filter inner valve is need rebuilding or a new filter. Hey. I am no expert and at this point I have to get this thing going. Today I did not see much or any blow back in pool which supposedly was also a sign of this filter being bad.

From what I get the first guy who lied about cleaning filter simply back flushed the filter using the valve on the outlet side which probably hadn't been used in 10 years. So seal goes and now it leaks. I am trying to search what valve in the filter looks like and how it functions. Possible this backwash also damaged this valve??? i do not know but I never had anything in the pool before and it is only thing that was touched.

My equipment is old and I am fair in saying that. Problem is when someone lies to your face about filter an cleaning it is hard to believe anything anyone says after that. I do not want to spend anymore on pool but with brand new finish I also don't want to experiment.

The terms you are using are not helping me picture what valves / filter parts you are talking about. Can you add a picture or 2 of your equipment pad?

If it is just the multi-port that is leaking, then a cheap spider gasket might be all you need.

Your filter performance will not likely impact your new finish ... the chemistry is much more important.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.