Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Endless Pool or not

1. Back To Top    #1

Endless Pool or not

My husband and I are planning on selling our home with pool and building a new home on our property, which is 5 miles away just outside the city limits.

He has been trying to talk me into installing an Endless Pool instead of a new in-ground pool and here are some of his arguments and mine. Does anyone have any experiences they could share with owning an Endless Pool, either pro or con?

1. I'm usually the only one using the pool.
    2. I use the existing pool only in the summer.
    3. I use the pool for exercise so I swim laps. (Can't get too far when you only have 35' to swim)
    4. Cost of maintaining a pool is high year around. $160 / month
    5. Total cost of installing a new pool is much more than an Endless Pool.
    6. I will be able to exercise year around.

My fears are:
    1. I will get bored if I have an Endless Pool because I will be swimming one direction.
    2. The pool will get too hot in the Texas summer heat.
    3. No place to dive into cold water when it's 110 degrees.
    4. A cool pool in the summer feels awesome!
    5. Since the pool will be indoors, I won't get any sunshine on my skin. I'm not a tanner, but I know sunlight is important for Vitamin D.

Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Endless Pool or not

I won't take sides either way, but I will say that if you're paying $160/Mo for pool maintenance, you're paying waaaay too much.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

As to the heat there are pool heat pumps that both heat and cool. You might also consider an endless pool / swim spa that is built like an oversized hot tub instead of the more traditional built in / in ground endless pool models, that way if you don't like it you can sell it and put in a traditional pool.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you! I have decided to start with an Endless Pool and will use my friend's pool for the hot Texas summer. I'll know by next March if I will install another pool. Thank you again.