Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dirty grout on tile pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Dirty grout on tile pool

My grout keeps getting dirty and the only way I can clean it is with a small brush and a lot of elbow grease. This isn't too bad in the shallow end but nearly impossible in the deep end. Any tips or tricks to getting this grout back to white and keeping it that way would be greatly appreciated
    I just got a new automatic pool cleaner so hopefully this will help keep the pool cleaner from now on.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dirty grout on tile pool

Can you take a picture and or describe what the staining on the grout looks like?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

What kind of "dirty" are we talking about? Is it algae staining?

I would not think that an automatic pool cleaner would impact the cleanliness of the grout.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Attachment 27471Attachment 27472Attachment 27472

I hope these pics uploaded. I think the grout is just dirty from the pool not being vacuumed enough but very hard to clean and get bright white again have to use a small brush and scrub the buck outta it

5. Back To Top    #5

I can't tell but there is very little from what I see. If it is green-ish or becomes so after smudging it, that would be Algae. If it is, you have a low Chorine issue or some history of it.

In any case, a pool cleaner will not reach and scrub it from the grout.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
    I can't tell but there is very little from what I see. If it is green-ish or becomes so after smudging it, that would be Algae. If it is, you have a low Chorine issue or some history of it.

In any case, a pool cleaner will not reach and scrub it from the grout.
    I don't think it is algae it's not green and doesn't smudge some of the worst spots are more yellow but most are just dirty brown. Like I said the only way I have found is to scrub it with an oversized grout tooth brush and without scuba gear it is nearly impossible to do!
    60000 L /15000gal L shaped infinity pool IG cement pool with 4" tile and grout
    28" sand filter / 1.5 hp hayward super pump 80 gpm
    Zodiac large size SWG, Taylor K-2006 test kit, 2 wheel suction side the pool cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Tuffy View Post
    I don't think it is algae it's not green and doesn't smudge some of the worst spots are more yellow but most are just dirty brown. Like I said the only way I have found is to scrub it with an oversized grout tooth brush and without scuba gear it is nearly impossible to do!
    You don't need scuba gear. Just get a snorkel and mask. I do most of my pool cleaning that way. It's a lot more fun than standing outside the pool and you can really see what you're doing.
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.