New Pool Quote Central TX - need advice

Feb 11, 2014
Texas
I've really been enjoying reading everybody's posts on designs, suggestions and pics of construction. Have received two pool bids and am leaning towards this one. Just want to make sure there isn't something that I'm missing or any red flags. It's a lot of money to spend and don't want to sign a contract until I've vetted everything. Listing a lot of info, but would really like some advice if something seems out of whack. Also if anyone has any critiques of the design, that would be helpful too!

Pool: 20' x 30' freeform gunite pool, 88 ft perimeter, 474 sq ft pool area, 3 x 4.25 x 5.5, 13,500 gallons
Shell: 1/2" rebar on 10"centers, both ways; Bond beam 1/2" steel rebar x4; Thickness: 12" bond beam, 8-10" walls/floor (I'm a girl so I have no idea if this is good?)
Pool pipes: up to 2 1/2" schedule 40 PVC
Return: 4 directional inlets; Skimmers:2 Pentair; Drains:4 10"AquaStar; 1 cleaner line
Reinforcement: 3/8"rebar 16" on center, 4" crushed base, 3/8" mastic joint
Deck-o-Drain:6 ft (I don't know what this is?); drainage pipe 20 ft total
6" band of tile at waterline, flagstone coping (prob OK)
9 ft boulders notched in water (2.5 tone moss rock waterfall) I think 8 feet across
1 bubbler on 55 sq ft tanning shelf, Pebble Sheen level 1
Decking: 607 sq ft concrete deck with Sundek and existing 240 sq ft deck to add Sundek (prob Mission Tan)
Pentair IntelliFlo VS-3050, Pentair WhisperFlo 1.5 HP pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 420 filter cartridge
Kreepy Krauly cleaner, Easytouch P-4 control box; In-Line Chlor w Trident UV S2; Pentair AmeriLite 500w
Cost:$52,500
Cost to add Extra Options:
Pebble Sheen Turtle Bay $1100
Add Sundek Aggregate to 847 total sq ft:$1360
Add 3 LED color lights: $915 (I think the Intellibrite 5g)
Total with options: $55,875
Pool Central TX.jpg

Hi Minniemousemom! I think your build looks pretty good, however, it does look a little high. Where area in TX do you live in?

We struggled with capping our existing patio which is similar in size to yours and we ended up doing it. It is much better to do it now than try to do it later and we were scared that we would be mad at ourselves for not doing it in 2 years. We also went with the Intellibrite 5G lights because we have young kids and will use the light show. That is purely a preference call and not for everyone.

Let us know when you sign the contract. It is going to be a great looking pool!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

A couple things jump out at me:

1. Your choice of copping and waterfall rock have eliminated the possibility of ever switching to a saltwater chlorine system ... so you will have to use liquid chlorine / bleach. There is a spec for an in-line chlorinator which is all but worthless as it uses trichlor tablets which are not a viable long-term solution. Read this: How to Chlorinate Your Pool

2. Put on your bathing suit and go lay out in your yard for as long as your pool will be exposed to the sun ... everyday. Then come back and tell me that your pool will not be getting enough UV from the Texas sun ;) ... UV and ozone systems on private outdoor residential pools is just a waste of money, both in upfront cost and added need for electricity.

Verify that the floor and skimmers will be plumbed separately to the pump with valves to allow you to adjust where the suction comes from ... and realize that true pool valves are MUCH better than using PVC ball valves.

I would also suggest you read all of Pool School a few times if you have not already. A little bit of time in there and you will quickly know more about pool chemistry than your builder and most pool store employees.

The bid does show the skimmers will be independently plumbed for optimum control.

All pool builders have suggested we not go with salt water. It seems everyone is on a different side of the fence on this one.

Yes, I have read on here that the UV/Ozone equipment is a waste, but haven't brought it up with the builder yet. Still getting my ducks in a row. Should it be eliminated and replaced with something else or I can just get rid of it and use chlorine?

Can anyone tell me what I should be paying for a concrete deck with Sundek per sq ft? Just a general idea? Based on the two quotes, it seems one is around $10 and the other $15. Not sure why it would be that high? That's excluding adding the Sundek aggregate.

Any opinions on using flagstone for the waterline as well vs using tiles? (assuming we don't want salt water)

You have to use chlorine even if you did have the UV/Ozone so I would eliminate it completely. Maybe consider getting a peristaltic pump to automate the bleach addition with the money you save?

They likely do not recommend the SWG because all the builders down there seem to only want to use the natural stone. I would not think that flagstone at the waterline would be a good idea.

To me $10 per sqft of 4" concrete slab seems a bit high, but I have not shopped for prices in a long time.

It does seem quite high. A lot of similar features as our pool which we paid just over 36k for.

I am sure there's different variables for different parts of the country. For instance the dig took us about 6 hours total and we paid $1400.

Price seems a bit high but it may be the boulders and other stone. Those add up quickly.

For 88 lnft I'd have to think you'd be under $50K including those options, unless you're going with a high end builder. Oh wait, just saw no hot tub....that price is definitely high. Would think closer to $40K

Don't forget to ask making sure they include running a gas line for the heater, sprinkler repair, grass replacement, any additional electrical work, etc.

Have you gotten other bids yet?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We also got another quote from a PB and he placed the pool 6-8 feet from the patio parallel to the house, which would also make it centered to our living room windows. Any opinions on pool placement? Who likes the pool a few steps from the patio vs a pool that is a lot further out in the yard and moved over from the patio? The design above has it moved over to the right, more in front of the breakfast area window.

Our spa and water feature are centered and close to our current patio. We did that so that some of the nice features of our pool catch your eye from our living room. I think yours would look nice either way and it really comes down to personal preference.

Built last year with an independent builder (yours looks more "national"), prices seem high for what is being offered. Since the independent needs to do warranty work and is slow responding, screw him and I will not recommend (for now). PM me for details.

PB came back and said we could eliminate the second pump for the waterfall and just use the Pentair VS pump. Is that ok to do that or do we really need a separate pump? Any recommendations for the cleaner? We currently have the Kreepy Krauly Platinum in the bid. Is that a good model?

We also got another quote from a PB and he placed the pool 6-8 feet from the patio parallel to the house, which would also make it centered to our living room windows. Any opinions on pool placement? Who likes the pool a few steps from the patio vs a pool that is a lot further out in the yard and moved over from the patio? The design above has it moved over to the right, more in front of the breakfast area window.
We chose to offset our pool since we wanted to keep alot of yard for the kids. I find that although it looks good, having the pool smack dab in the middle of your yard takes up a lot of space.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.