Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa draining overnight

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa draining overnight

I have an attached spa with a waterfall feature into the pool. Overnight, the spa drains down about 9-12" (just above spa jets). I have opened the check valve made sure it was working and no foreign objects. I checked both suction and return valves as well, no foreign objects, seals seem to be in good shape. All the people I have asked, say it is most likely the check valve. However, I happen to have a ball valve that I can close and I did that, but it still drained. I am stumped. Any ideas from any of you experts? I assume the water is just draining back into the pool, but could it be a leak?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa draining overnight

Has it always done this? It's common to drain back to ground level when the pump isn't on,mine does this every night.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

That should not happen if the correct check valves are installed and they are not leaking.

Does it drain down to pool water level or lower?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

So overnight, about 16 hours it is draining down to about a foot above pool level. It has not always done this. We have been in the house for a little over a year and it used to only drain down a few inches.
    Approx. 14k, IG, plaster, cartridge, 2hp, attached spa

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, since the spa water has not gotten below the pool level, it is hard to say if it is a leak or if the spa water is making it past the valves back to the pool.

Can you add some pictures of your plumbing setup?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

here you go, let me know what you thinkIMG_0670.jpg

7. Back To Top    #7

Need more angles, can't identify where some of the pipes go. What is that red valve, a heater bypass? What is that line on the ground where the spa return goes underground?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Here is more pic. If I try to upload more it tells me I have exceeded my quota. Any idea how to fix that or another way to post pics. Sorry, I am new to the forum and still trying to figure it out.

The red valve controls the waterfall out of the spa into the pool. After they check valve that line circles back to the spa return.
    IMG_0676.JPG

9. Back To Top    #9

Host photos on Flickr or Photobucket, etc and post links here. Saves forum bandwidth.

There is a check valve on the line with the red valve? That is what I would suspect.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, there is a check valve on that line, I replaced the seat assembly, checked for obstructions, mad checked the spring. All looks good, should I just replace it with a whole new one? Any thoughts on which one to get?