Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vinyl vs Fiberglass???

1. Back To Top    #1

Vinyl vs Fiberglass???

Well, as we continue to get more information, our decision is getting more and more complicated! We've been thinking vinyl all along, but after reading about fiberglass pools and checking out some models/options, I think fiberglass may be a good option.

We are looking at Viking Pools, specifically the Mediterranean model paired with a spillover spa. After finding out we can add custom tiling and pick from a range of shell colors we are initially excited about them.

Does anyone have any advice for us in choosing between vinyl and fiberglass? Has anyone purchased a Viking fiberglass pool who can share their experiences?
    20k Gallon IG Vinyl Pool - 19 x 34 Rectangle - 3ft to 6ft depths

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Vinyl vs Fiberglass???

One of Vikings manufacturing plants is in my area. I have a friend who has a viking pool. She has nothing but positive things to say about it. She's had it 2-3yrs.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

We have seen a couple LONG horror stories about mishaps during install of a fiberglass pool. But if you have a good installer who does things correctly, then it can be a great pool.

Only thing in my mind is that when the surface starts to go, you can not really update them I don't think. You can always get a new liner or re-plaster, but nothing you can really do with fiberglass very easily.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

There is also a regional element to the preferred types of pools which may involve soil condition, freeze cycles, etc.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Viking is owned by Latham Mfg, who also happens to own Trilogy and Blue Hawaiian. Trilogy developed a color coating that is similar to corian countertops. This color coating is shared between the three companies. They all have a good shell manufacturing process, the biggest influence on an installation is the installer. If they do it right with this color finish it could be 20-25 years before any degradation of color is seen. Then lightly wet sanding will bring the shine back. Just to clarify I am an authorized retailer/installer for Trilogy.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

6. Back To Top    #6

Like others mentioned, the installation of the fiberglass pool will make or break it. Recommend to thuroughly research online how it is supposed to be done and then review the process with the PB before making your decision.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Would it be naive for me to assume that if there is a local dealer that Viking works with that Viking would make sure they are properly trained on the right way to install them?

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Trilogy has a program to certify installers, not sure of Vikings dealer program.
    Certified in Hydraulics

9. Back To Top    #9

Just remember training and doing the job right are not the same thing
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

10. Back To Top    #10

If we go with a Viking pool, it would seem that we would be required to use the intaller that has rights in our market. I guess all I can do is ask for a bunch of referrals and visit some of the pools they have installed in the past. Then if I'm not comfortable with the quality of install, I'm out of luck and cannot get a Viking installed from anyone else? Seems like an inefficient process for Viking to use.... competition drives up efficiency and drives down prices, and without a choice of builder it would seem to work in the opposite direction!

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Not sure where you are located in the midwest as that is a general area. If you go to the viking website usually on the dealer locator they will try to find the 3 nearest dealers to you and have them get in touch with you. Not saying there are that many in your general area.
    Certified in Hydraulics

12. Back To Top    #12

I would suggest asking around socially and not relying on referrals, since they would not refer you to problem pools