this may sound funny, but...

Ok I know our pool is gonna get a ton of use, my kids are like fish, so it may be better to upgrade to larger swg.
Partially filling sounds like a great option, will composite walls hold up to that? Also did u use stone or dirt for backfill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walls should be fine. I used stone, self compacting.

I actually did the vermiculite a couple weeks prior to liner. This was so I could measure and order the liner. While my backfill got completed, I did not have concrete poured until a few weeks after the pool was full.

ok that's what I was thinking, compacting limestone, my pool will be at the low end of the yard, so any additional drainage I can put in will be good. knock on wood we have never had an issue, but I really don't care for water getting in the house.
ssgumby-(or any one else) once the vermiculite hardens, you are able to walk on it right? i.e to sweep it of small sediment, leaves etc before liner goes in.

thanks again for all the informative comments

thanks

ok that's what I was thinking, compacting limestone, my pool will be at the low end of the yard, so any additional drainage I can put in will be good. knock on wood we have never had an issue, but I really don't care for water getting in the house.
ssgumby-(or any one else) once the vermiculite hardens, you are able to walk on it right? i.e to sweep it of small sediment, leaves etc before liner goes in.

thanks again for all the informative comments

thanks

Yes, you can walk on it after it hardens. That is another reason to do the vermiculite a while before liner. What we did was a couple days after vermiculite was done and hardened good, we got in and sanded/scraped some areas that were rough. At night I would put a light in and it showed high and low spots, I would circle those spots with chalk and then fix them up during the day. We spent probably a week sanding and tweaking here and there to get the base really nice. Then did a major cleaning. Then, right before putting the liner in we did another major cleaning. Make sure though if you are doing the vermiculite and waiting on liner, cover the pool with a tarp. A hard rain could ruin your hard work!

here is an update...

we have ordered from Royalswimmingpools.com and they have been great about answering questions and responding quickly and pleasantly. Johnny, from Royalswimmingpools.com was very helpful in technical questions and was able to price match with other suppliers.

we ended up with 16x32 composite vinyl lined, standard depth, 40" to 8 feet deep end, approximately 20K gallons, Pentair intelliflo VS 3 HP pump (I know its over sized, but allows for expansion such as solar panels on garage roof, etc., Hayward c 4030 400sqft cartridge filter, aqua-rite 40k salt cell. 8' roman steps and 8' cozy cove swim out.

my buddy has a backhoe and he and I are going to excavate, I know could be trouble, but I think I have a pretty good idea of finish elevation and I bought a rotary laser level which should really help.(plan to sell that after final grading and retaining wall install, if anyone interested) . another neighbor is letting me borrow his Kubota tractor for moving the extra soil, may take about 100 trips but i'm only moving it about 50 feet to hillside.

I have 6 weeks of 4 day w/e scheduled so hopefully by May we will have a pool...and getting ready for a great summer of swimming and hanging poolside with margaritas!!

thanks everyone for advice and pls keep it coming as I still need to research how to do the plumbing, electrical ( buddy is electrician and wired his own pool), install jets for cozycove, etc. anyone do there own conceete decking, I was thinking of exposed pea gravel aggragate for non slip factor)

pictures to follow, right now camera too muddy to take any pictures

Received the pool from Royal swimming pools.com. Began the first phase of the dig. So far so good however I got sick so I've been out of commission for a few days. Plan to do the deep end of the dig this weekend
usatu7e5.jpg
a9yny8yz.jpg
mage5ybu.jpg
3aquhuja.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
qeranedy.jpg
ytatabad.jpg
asesubyb.jpg
pu6yja6a.jpg

here are the latest pics. unfortunately, I lost my excavator (friend) who was running the backhoe and I had to complete the deep end excavation solo. that was zero fun!! I had to jump in/out of backhoe to laser level stick, hand dig to get walls right, etc. etc. some beers afterwards seemed to help and the feeling of the dig being done! the composite walls were easy to maneuver and get to the right places and had my 2 daughters 11 and 8 helping me with that. later had to disassemble and level out better but no big deal. we have had rain it seems every other day so I am on hold waiting to pour footer. I need a pump trailer and they are extremely busy with the limited days due to rain. I have been spending time making hole in garage floor for the equipment 'pad' area. this was actually really easy with sledge and air hammer from harbor freight, took about 45 minutes for 18x18 inch hole.

by the way it is sooo much easier to add pics from phone....not sure why I have such a difficult time from home computer

3e8y3eze.jpg
yju8ygur.jpg
abadudu3.jpg
qepu4epa.jpg

Okay here are pictures of my future equipment pad and the transition to the pool. I think I have figured out how to plumb the whole thing, but I would love any critiques!

planning on MD and skimmer meeting at Jandy 3 way, then to Pentair intelliflo VS 3 hp, then to Hayward 4030 cartridge filter, then to 2 consecutive jandy 3way valves for future solar panels (to/from), then to aquarite t-15 cell and flow switch, then back to jandy 3 way to returns and jets for cozy cove. do I need any one way/check valves?? also I was planning on complete loop around pool for returns, I understand this ensures a equal distribution of flow to all the returns? does that make sense?? it would only cost another 20 bucks.

right now I am trying to figure out the wiring of the system....would really love some input. do I need a timer so that SWG only comes on when pump on? or should I just plan on running pump 24/7 at very low RPMs? one reason I opted for the Pentair 3 hp vs was for the flexibility to run at very low RPMs and have enough power if I ever do the solar panel thing...

plan to pour concrete footer next week, all of the pump trucks in Pittsburgh area are back orderd because of the !@#$ weather.

thanks again to everyone for advice and input. cant wait to sit back and relax in pool this summer!!

one very positive thing to report is with the amount of shale in our ground, I have not had to pump out any water from the dig, there is not even a puddle, drains like a sieve(?). thanks god we were forced to have flood insurance on our homeowners!!:mad:

one very positive thing to report is with the amount of shale in our ground, I have not had to pump out any water from the dig, there is not even a puddle, drains like a sieve(?). thanks god we were forced to have flood insurance on our homeowners!!:mad:

We're just south of Steubenville and are the same way. We live on top of the hill, with great soil drainage, and are required to have flood insurance. We were told its due to us living less than 5 miles from the ohio river, but if it ever floods that much many many peoples houses will be totally underwater.

Builds looking good!!

Looks good joedoe! Hey... do you hunt that back yard of yours? If it were mine, I know I would! :mrgreen:

just pour the footer this AM...a 4 inch concrete pump hose is no joke! I thought it would it be a lot easier!! we poured about 7 yards in about 1.5 hours, but most of that was maneuvering the hose, removing sections reclamping etc. luckily I had a friend help, but the operator did a lot more than he probably usually does, I gave him a nice tip! also it woul dhave been impossible with wheel barrows, so I didn't have much choice

he told me it was time and a half on sat and double time on sunday, so I was glad I was able to swing it on a Thursday.

lookin forward to some easy plumbing and electrical work (physically that is)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.