Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor ceiling fans

1. Back To Top    #1

Outdoor ceiling fans

I'm looking for some recommendations on outdoor ceiling fans that are used in covered patios, preferably buildings that have all 4 sides open.

I've done a search but only found some stuff from 07, so I figured I'd ask again.

My cover will be 16x24 so I'll have 2 ceiling fans, approx 60" each. One option is getting a large fan like a Big *** Fan http://www.bigassfans.com/products/isis/ , but they're very expensive. Another option would be the Minka Aire series. Relatively cheap but they move some major air at around 8500+cfm; plus they are DC drive so I could run them all day.

http://www.lumens.com/slipstream-cei...A&&tileIndex=4

I'm looking to see what others have used, especially in this texas heat.

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Outdoor ceiling fans

It's the moisture that destroys them (corrosion/blade warping). My cheap Hampton Bays have outlasted most other standard brands 3:1 (had a running bet with my nephew). They are 48" outdoor rated with plastic blades; plenty of power and I couldn't justify spending more than $60/each for outdoor use.

3. Back To Top    #3

I've always had good luck with Hunter fans. I've had one for three years in my east facing patio here in Az. It's been through several hardcore monsoon seasons with no issues. Craigslist is a great resource for ceiling fans if you dont mind buying used. Those Big***** fans are cool!
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Did either of you guys have issues with air flow? Where they able to move enough air to keep you cool?

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's another vote for Hunter - we had a 52 inch on our breezeway in Houston. It was exposed on three sides due to the offset garage. Rarely ran it on high speed because it was a mini hurricane, wish I knew the model number! it lasted six years and I'm guessing it's still running, based on its longevity, we bought two for this patio.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I bought a harbor breeze fan that is meant to be outdoors for our back porch, the blades are some sort of plastic. So far it has done nicely. The blades are wider than the avg fan. The hunter before it lasted quite awhile, but it was a normal indoor styled fan, and the blades were starting to sag. It moved a TON of air. This one moves less air but I believe that to be due to blade design.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

7. Back To Top    #7

I too have the Harbor breeze outdoor fans on my patio with the plastic blades which look really nice. Even these are sagging a good bit already ... Humidity is not our problem, but maybe it is the heat. We have had them for 3-4 years and not used very much ... wind blowing on you when it is 100 degrees outside does not help much

Just recently both of the fan's lights have stopped working. They just dimly pulse which is odd. I can only speculate that the electronics in the fan have for some reason gone bad.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I too have the Harbor breeze outdoor fans on my patio with the plastic blades which look really nice. Even these are sagging a good bit already ... Humidity is not our problem, but maybe it is the heat. We have had them for 3-4 years and not used very much ... wind blowing on you when it is 100 degrees outside does not help much

Just recently both of the fan's lights have stopped working. They just dimly pulse which is odd. I can only speculate that the electronics in the fan have for some reason gone bad.
    IS yours this one?
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_396794-88854...Indoor/Outdoor

That's the one I have. mine sagged like the image since new. I assume it's intentional.
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

9. Back To Top    #9

I think it was this one. The blades used to be mostly straight, but are starting to droop. Definitely not like the link you sent.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/956227999-...n-wck52abz5lk/

Happened upon them on clearance at Lowes ... pretty sure they were under $100 each.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

what ever brand you get make sure it say "wet" in the description. all the other ones will sag real bad in a short period of time.
    Finally completed March 2014
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Kid View Post
    Did either of you guys have issues with air flow? Where they able to move enough air to keep you cool?
    As JBlizzle stated once it gets hot the fans are just moving hot air. I have misters that do help keep things tolerable especially when the fan is running.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

12. Back To Top    #12

We had misters back in Vegas, but unfortunately the climate in Houston can be described as a bit "humid."

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Kid View Post
    We had misters back in Vegas, but unfortunately the climate in Houston can be described as a bit "humid."
    You said it brother! Misters don't work in 150% relative humidity.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    You said it brother! Misters don't work in 150% relative humidity.
    Poor fellas.

It's okay, out here misters only serve to cover anything/everything in hard water stains.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
    Poor fellas.

It's okay, out here misters only serve to cover anything/everything in hard water stains.
    No worries, I've been to Midland/Odessa many times and never confused the weather with San Diego...

We all got issues in TX .lol.

16. Back To Top    #16

I too am looking for a "wet" rated ceiling fan. We are next to a retention lake and we get much wind passing through my covered patio which bends the fan blades over time. We are considering this fan from Lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_80443-82939-...fan&facetInfo=
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

17. Back To Top    #17

As I said above, my blades are plastic and meant for outdoors, but they are pretty saggy now after a few years.

BTW, I mention the lights pulsing. I have recently learned that fans after 2007 or so in the US have some electronics to detect if you use bulbs greater than 40watts and shut it down. Well, turns out even if you do use appropriate bulbs, these electronics go bad. A quick search of youtube revealed that there is a little black box that you can cut out of the circuitry and with a few minutes work my lights are now back to working perfectly ... just be sure you do not use oversize bulbs
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    As I said above, my blades are plastic and meant for outdoors, but they are pretty saggy now after a few years.

BTW, I mention the lights pulsing. I have recently learned that fans after 2007 or so in the US have some electronics to detect if you use bulbs greater than 40watts and shut it down. Well, turns out even if you do use appropriate bulbs, these electronics go bad. A quick search of youtube revealed that there is a little black box that you can cut out of the circuitry and with a few minutes work my lights are now back to working perfectly ... just be sure you do not use oversize bulbs
    Thanks for your sharing. I'm looking for more experience about outdoor ceiling fans

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    It's the moisture that destroys them (corrosion/blade warping). My cheap Hampton Bays have outlasted most other standard brands 3:1 (had a running bet with my nephew). They are 48" outdoor rated with plastic blades; plenty of power and I couldn't justify spending more than $60/each for outdoor use.
    I have the same thing going on 7 years!
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

20. Back To Top    #20

I didn't see what your budget was but for $250 per these are the fans we are buying. Don't have them installed yet but every review I can find is 5 stars and they move a ton of air - 10K CFM. For us in south Florida, it may actually make us cold!!!

60" Casa Vieja Turbina Oil-Rubbed Bronze Ceiling Fan - #U4514 | www.lampsplus.com

Brian - UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 17K gal SW Gunite IG. 17'x23'(w/shelf)x34'. 650sf. 114' perim. 3.5'-5' depth sports pool. 7'x11' sun shelf, 6'x8' spa. Intelliflow VSP, IC60 SWCG, CC420 filter, 4 LEDs (2 Globrite and 2 Intellibrite). Hayward 140K BTU heat pump. Pentair EasyTouch 8 automation. Ivory travertine deck. 8"X16" travertine coping. NPT lightwaves Aquamarine spa tile and marker tiles. Undecided on plaster/pebble finish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast