Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Travertine Deck Slippery

1. Back To Top    #1

Travertine Deck Slippery

Hi everyone again. I have had my pool since 2007. We installed travertine tiles all around the pool for a deck. The problem is that it is so slippery when your feet are wet. Does anyone have any ideas how to increase the traction of travertine. The only good thing is that it looks great and never gets hot when baking in the sun.

thanks in advance.
    Omar
    42' x 25' Gunite Pool, 10' x 10' Spa, Horseshoe wading pool around spa, 40,000 gallons
    Hayward Aquarite SWG, Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump 3HP(main) 011018
    Hayward Pump (spa), Hayward DE Filter, LED Lights, Waterfall, Granite Tile

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Travertine Deck Slippery

What finish travertine is it?

Honed or polished are going to be a problem. Brushed or tumbled shouldn't be a problem. Talk to a pro and see if it can be ground to make it rougher.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Did you seal it? Travertine should not be slippery unless it's the type as mentioned by JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

I would assumed it is Honed/Polished Tiles and not pavers. That is the wrong type of tile to put around a pool. I would talk to a pro...but you will probably have to etch it.
    IG, 18K gallons, 100' Perimeter, 565 SF surface area, 980sf interior area, Max Length -36', Max Width - 16', Pentair 520 Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter, Stenner Chemical Injection System (Chlorine, Acid Coming Soon) , Pebble Tech - Blue Granite, Pentair variable speed filter pump, Zodiac MX8 Cleaner, Multi-Colored LED Lighting, Travertine coping & Decking, Boulder Water Fall....

5. Back To Top    #5

I believe it is polished. There is no sealant. I was thinking of using muriatic acid to etch it but I am open to other suggestions.
    thanks
    Omar
    42' x 25' Gunite Pool, 10' x 10' Spa, Horseshoe wading pool around spa, 40,000 gallons
    Hayward Aquarite SWG, Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump 3HP(main) 011018
    Hayward Pump (spa), Hayward DE Filter, LED Lights, Waterfall, Granite Tile