Cover Collapsed :(

jjdurrant

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
MN
Just looked outside in my backyard and this happened.. Yeah cover tore and ripped the aluminum guide rails right out of the concrete.

My thought is it must have a leak or multiple leaks in the liner an/or the bottom drain line is broken underground. It was full when we closed it. I may try and submit this through my insurance. I’d assume pool is partially covered under my policy. I will likely need:

Liner
Cover (solar and maybe mesh?)
Concrete Repair since rails are ripped out

Not sure why the previous owners replaced the mesh suspension with this other vinyl cover that glides on rails. Mesh would have likely still supported weight of snow even with water loss.

12256038623_dfae0b4eee_b.jpg

Wow that stinks :(

As much snow as we have gotten, I doubt any cover would hold it. Generally, when it comes to covering where there is snow, the cover sits on the surface of the water so that it does not take up any snow load. It does look like you had a leak...with that said, I assume you drained the pool somewhat when you winterized but did the cover have any slack in it so that it would not have to hold the weight of the snow?

Wow that stinks :(

As much snow as we have gotten, I doubt any cover would hold it. Generally, when it comes to covering where there is snow, the cover sits on the surface of the water so that it does not take up any snow load. It does look like you had a leak...with that said, I assume you drained the pool somewhat when you winterized but did the cover have any slack in it so that it would not have to hold the weight of the snow?

Yeah.. the pool was mostly full when PB closed it.. so def a massive leak.. what's weird is there was no leak all summer long or even when we closed.

Man that really stinks.

Wonder if some sort or low voltage radiant heating system could have been placed on top of the cover and turned on during large snow storms.

Thinking something like a floor heating system or one they use on driveways.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.