Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cover Collapsed :(

1. Back To Top    #1

Cover Collapsed :(

Just looked outside in my backyard and this happened.. Yeah cover tore and ripped the aluminum guide rails right out of the concrete.

My thought is it must have a leak or multiple leaks in the liner an/or the bottom drain line is broken underground. It was full when we closed it. I may try and submit this through my insurance. Id assume pool is partially covered under my policy. I will likely need:

Liner
    Cover (solar and maybe mesh?)
    Concrete Repair since rails are ripped out

Not sure why the previous owners replaced the mesh suspension with this other vinyl cover that glides on rails. Mesh would have likely still supported weight of snow even with water loss.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cover Collapsed :(

Wow that stinks

As much snow as we have gotten, I doubt any cover would hold it. Generally, when it comes to covering where there is snow, the cover sits on the surface of the water so that it does not take up any snow load. It does look like you had a leak...with that said, I assume you drained the pool somewhat when you winterized but did the cover have any slack in it so that it would not have to hold the weight of the snow?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by linen View Post
    Wow that stinks

As much snow as we have gotten, I doubt any cover would hold it. Generally, when it comes to covering where there is snow, the cover sits on the surface of the water so that it does not take up any snow load. It does look like you had a leak...with that said, I assume you drained the pool somewhat when you winterized but did the cover have any slack in it so that it would not have to hold the weight of the snow?
    Yeah.. the pool was mostly full when PB closed it.. so def a massive leak.. what's weird is there was no leak all summer long or even when we closed.

4. Back To Top    #4

Man that really stinks.

Wonder if some sort or low voltage radiant heating system could have been placed on top of the cover and turned on during large snow storms.

Thinking something like a floor heating system or one they use on driveways.

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have an autofill?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by linen View Post
    Do you have an autofill?

Nope

7. Back To Top    #7

Quotes came in and new liner and cover is going to run about $5k which is what I expected.. I am also going to be swapping out the cartridge filter for a Hayward S210T.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Sorry to see that happen.

That is more snow on the ground then I could ever imagine.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JoshU View Post
    Sorry to see that happen.

That is more snow on the ground then I could ever imagine.
    Really? lol. My hot tub is supposed to be delivered in 3 weeks. Its going in my sunroom, I think you can see it here. (pool is on the left)

40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Molson View Post
    Really? lol. My hot tub is supposed to be delivered in 3 weeks. Its going in my sunroom, I think you can see it here. (pool is on the left)

Does not compute for a Texas boy.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post

Just think of it this way, I pile all my pool water in one spot for winter storage.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
    So I'm guessing you've probably never lost a vehicle in the snow and had to poke around with a stick to find it ?
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

So I'm guessing you've probably never lost a vehicle in the snow and had to poke around with a stick to find it ?
    Here's my truck in the New Orleans version of snow:

truckjpg.jpg
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps