Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pump Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Charlotte NC

New Pump Question

I have a Pentair Challenger 1 horse pump that is starting to make a noticeably louder humming noise
    while running.Im in Charlotte NC and run the filter whenever it goes below freezing and have been doing
    so for the last 5 years.This will be the 6th season coming up and I think I'm just gonna replace the whole
    pump assembly.My question is should I upgrade to a 1.5 horse pump if there isnt a big price difference?
    My pool is a 20,000 gallon inground SWG vinyl liner pool.Thanks
    16x34 kidney shape 19,000 gal vinyl IG
    Pentair IC-20 SWG
    Pentair sand filter
    Pentair 1HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: New Pump Question

I would not consider going from a 1HP to a 1.5HP an "upgrade" ... the bigger pump will cost more to buy and will use more electricity ... and for what? Do you need more flow?

It does not look like you have any high water flow needs (spa, water features, solar, etc), so an "upgrade" in my mind would be getting maybe a smaller 2-speed pump that will save you a lot of money on electricity by running on low speed.

Likely the pump that I have, the 1HP 2-speed Pentair Superflo would be a good fit ... assuming that your currently pump is wired for 230V and not 115V. Most 2-speed pumps are 230V.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!