New Pump Question

bluskyguy

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 19, 2009
Charlotte NC
I have a Pentair Challenger 1 horse pump that is starting to make a noticeably louder humming noise
while running.Im in Charlotte NC and run the filter whenever it goes below freezing and have been doing
so for the last 5 years.This will be the 6th season coming up and I think I'm just gonna replace the whole
pump assembly.My question is should I upgrade to a 1.5 horse pump if there isnt a big price difference?
My pool is a 20,000 gallon inground SWG vinyl liner pool.Thanks

I would not consider going from a 1HP to a 1.5HP an "upgrade" ... the bigger pump will cost more to buy and will use more electricity ... and for what? Do you need more flow?

It does not look like you have any high water flow needs (spa, water features, solar, etc), so an "upgrade" in my mind would be getting maybe a smaller 2-speed pump that will save you a lot of money on electricity by running on low speed.

Likely the pump that I have, the 1HP 2-speed Pentair Superflo would be a good fit ... assuming that your currently pump is wired for 230V and not 115V. Most 2-speed pumps are 230V.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.