Water softener use for pool water level maintenance

Dec 16, 2013
Cypress TX
As a spin off from another thread...

Was wondering if it is beneficial to use water supplied from my home water softener to maintain water level in my pool? I'm not sure how the water chemistry would be affected, but if I can save on some chemicals then I'm all for it.

I'll be using an SWG system, but it would be interesting to here if there is any difference for chlorine pool applications.

Once my pool is up, running, and stabilized; I can do a little experiment where I run the pool for 1 wk on the softener and then bypass it for another week. Might be interesting to see the results. Hopefully, somebody here has already done this and could provide some info.

Seems like generally this is a good idea when your supply water is high in CH and you want to try to slow down how quickly the CH rises in your pool.

I don't think it reduces chemical usage in the pool at all. Just slows the CH build-up.

Hey Vegas,

First off, thanks for making a new post. As to your questions...

A softener will not save you money on chemicals. What it can do, is dilute hardness in the pool by adding some soft water. This will help with scaling issues, possibly including scaling in the SWG. The degree to which it can help depends on a few things. I'm guessing you'll have at least fairly hard water there. If the softener has enough capacity to keep up with pool and house demand, you may be able to reduce some CH in the pool with some softer makeup water.

To know for sure, we'd need to know your fill water CH, pool size, and softener capacity to really give you a good picture. I or someone else will be along to help once you have those numbers posted. Softener capcity should be in your paper work, or with the sales/service company that put it in. Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.