I Think I Want a New Pump & Filter...Help Me Decide

twowhlrcr

Gold Supporter
Sep 1, 2011
Goodyear, AZ
Good evening guys,

The info I read could be wrong so bear with me. From what I read on the net, Cartridge Filters do not get backwashed but Sand Filters do? If that is true, then I would like to change out my sand filter for a cartridge filter. The reason being, It is extremely difficult to backwash my sand filter. I have no place in the back yard to do it. We live against a lake and it will flow into the lake. I don't want to jeopardize the fish or anything. It is also very tough to run the hose to the sewer clean out which is recommended here in this neighborhood.

So basically, this is just to make things easier. The current filter works great. From what I understand, it is a very good filter. Below are the pics of what I currently have. I would like to replace the pump also. I would like to have the best of the best but unfortunately I don't currently have the budget for the best. I definitely don't want to step down though. Something comparable to what I have now would be great. I appreciate your help.

Well................for some reason it won't let me post the pics....says I'm over a quota???? Anyways, the filter is a Hayward Pro Series S360SX and the Pump is a Hayward Super II Pump K48M2N110 1 1/2 HP.

How big is your pool? Do you have any high flow rate needs like spa, water features, etc?

You are correct that cartridges do not get backwashed, you have to open them up and spray off the cartridge.

Given the pool size we can recommend a filter size, but you can not go too big for cartridges.

One cheaper upgrade would be to replace the motor with a 2 speed motor. But, if you have no high flow needs, might be cheaper to buy either a smaller 2 speed pump or a smaller 2 speed motor and impeller.

Be careful what you wish for. It sounds like you have a nicely working system but have decided you need to "fix" it.
I don't want to jeopardize the fish or anything.
It's totally harmless to fish....that's a non-starter.

You may not find your new cartridge filter is "easier" than what sounds like a fine system to begin with.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the lake unless your municipality doesn't allow it since the amount of water/chlorine/salt you will be backwashing is/should be a small amount. I would just let the output be a little ways from the edge of the lake so that the water runs along the ground for a ways.

Thanks for the heads up and opinions guys. Yes, the HOA frowns upon it...of course.

The pool is 15,000 gallons. It has 2 water falls but they can't run at the same time as the pop-ups. Basically you can choose between the water falls or the pop-ups.

And yes, I agree 100% that the current system works great. It really only is due to the backwashing issue...that's it.

Thanks again.

Well, having the in-floor cleaning system kind of means you would not benefit from a 2-speed pump as you would not be able to get the energy savings by running on low because that would not be enough to drive your pop-ups.

I suppose you could go to a large VS pump which would allow you to dial in the lowest speed where the pop-ups were still working well, but it may take many many years for the electrical savings to offset the initial expense.

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.