Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Won't Come On

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Won't Come On

Hi, when I went out to turn the pump on (I don't have mine on a timer) I flipped the switch and nothing. I replaced the switch and still nothing. It is a centrifugal pump with trap, PEA series Model and I'm not sure what other info I need to post. Please tell me it is not the motor which I replaced probably in 2003. Thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Won't Come On

Welcome to TFP!

Is there a start capacitor on that motor? Although honestly getting 10 years out of a motor is pretty good these days I think.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi, and thank you for the welcome and trying to help me. It is much appreciated! I'm looking at my owner's manual for the pump and in the diagram it shows a Capacitor. Re: getting 10 yrs use - all of my equipment is the original from 89. I've had to replace the cloth filters and the motor 3 times and each time I turn it on I say a little prayer - either he wasn't listening or I forgot this last time.

4. Back To Top    #4

Was the motor making noise prior to this episode? I second the start capacitor.

Check this info out:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...l=1#post603542

Sounds like the start capacitor.
    Easy fix.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKNvYeAAmjg
    or
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbIOltG4OaE

Pumps may be a bit different, but it's the basic idea.

Look on the old one and match it to the new one. Less than $15 delivered.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pool-Motor-S...-/200841201921

No affiliation with any of the above links.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Does it hum when you try to start it? If so, I agree with the capacitor.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi and thanks for your help - sorry for delay in responding - re: noise - no the last time I turned it on - it was fine. I will check out the links you supplied - thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi and thank you. No the last time I turned it on - it was fine - that is what puzzles me.

7. Back To Top    #7

It could have been a sticking centrifugal switch. It may or may not happen again for a long time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Nobody has mentioned it, but is the circuit breaker off/tripped?
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

9. Back To Top    #9

Hi and thanks for the suggestion - it is the first thing I checked. My neighbor came over to check what was and wasn't getting power - unfortunately, I need a new motor and he said with the new motor I will want to replace the seals and something else (sigh)...I appreciate your help - thank you.