Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Depth of return lines and light

1. Back To Top    #1

Depth of return lines and light

I am remodeling my own pool and have the deck removed and starting to redo my plumbing. I am putting the standard return lines 18 inches deep but have a vanishing edge that can put out up to 180 gal/min but will mostly run at a much lower flow. I am splitting the flow for that into a 2.5 inch and 2 inch return line and planning on putting them a few inches deeper than the standard lines. Will the surface of the pool water ripple when the flow is above 150 gal/min if the return lines are only 20inches deep?

Also, my existing light is 39 inches deep but a local pool builder, who is my consultant, says to put it 18 inches deep, is that standard? I would expect it needs to be deeper.
    Thanks in advance for any input.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Depth of return lines and light

18" below water level is the minimum depth for an underwater light. Deeper is alright. 18-20" is a very common depth.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School