Hayward Pump Trips Breaker

Feb 10, 2014
Az
First time post as I just found this site. I wish I had known of it sooner.

I have a 1/2hp Hayward pump for a 10,000 gallon in ground pool. The pump trips the breaker every time I turn it on. It will humm for 5-10 seconds, then trip the dual post breaker (2 x 15). I read here that it is good to test the capacitor before doing any major work. I did today, it was bad, and I replaced it. Thinking that I had it solved, I reset breaker and turned on pump. Same thing, hum for 5-10 seconds then trip the breaker. I also smell some burning type smell.

I had previously removed the pump from the filter basket. The impeller was free spinning. I did find a couple of tiny stones near the impeller casing, and removed them.

I am now at a loss. Any ideas on what could be wrong? I am hoping not to hear that I need a new pump. It is almost 8 years old, but would think that they last longer than that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.