Back-filling against pool walls.

Jan 9, 2014
Was wondering what way to go. After the backfill is removed when it is time to replace should gravel be used or the overburden dirt. People have said gravel but every pool so far I looked at was just filled back in with dirt. What are the pros and cons other than cost?

Not sure where you are located. Location will affect dirt composition some from geographic area to area. Here in Missouri we have alto of red clay and gray clay, if we use it to backfill with it will continually settle as we cannot compact it enough around a pool wall. For that reason we usually use 1" clean limestone gravel which is easily obtained in my area. We don't run any kind of compactor over it as we do this before putting water in the shell.

Our soil in NC is similar to swimcmp's in MO. It cannot be compacted well against a normal pool wall.

Backfill with the rock he suggests, no compacting necessary, and you will be ready to pour your decking.

Your soil may be better but I don't think their is ANY soil that will work as well as the rock he suggests.

Well gravel was planned and a lot of it will be coming in. Wanted good drainage since the build is a partial slope. We will use up the backfill dirt to level up some and will still need more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.