Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Back-filling against pool walls.

1. Back To Top    #1

Back-filling against pool walls.

Was wondering what way to go. After the backfill is removed when it is time to replace should gravel be used or the overburden dirt. People have said gravel but every pool so far I looked at was just filled back in with dirt. What are the pros and cons other than cost?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Back-filling against pool walls.

Not sure where you are located. Location will affect dirt composition some from geographic area to area. Here in Missouri we have alto of red clay and gray clay, if we use it to backfill with it will continually settle as we cannot compact it enough around a pool wall. For that reason we usually use 1" clean limestone gravel which is easily obtained in my area. We don't run any kind of compactor over it as we do this before putting water in the shell.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Our soil in NC is similar to swimcmp's in MO. It cannot be compacted well against a normal pool wall.

Backfill with the rock he suggests, no compacting necessary, and you will be ready to pour your decking.

Your soil may be better but I don't think their is ANY soil that will work as well as the rock he suggests.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Should have added this would be back fill for a vinyl pool with steel walls. Thanks for the replies.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you decide to use the dirt (like I did)--don't get rid of your dug out dirt pile! I guarantee you'll backfill it at least twice more.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

I used all stone
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

7. Back To Top    #7

Definitely gravel.
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

8. Back To Top    #8

Well gravel was planned and a lot of it will be coming in. Wanted good drainage since the build is a partial slope. We will use up the backfill dirt to level up some and will still need more.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Mac put a drain against the wall and take it to daylight. This will let any water that collects in the gravel. It will prevent the liner from floating.
    Certified in Hydraulics

10. Back To Top    #10

swimcmp, there will be a landscape filtration pipe encircling the entire pool then out to the low end slope to daylight. This is what you mean correct?

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Yes that will work. We usually use 4" sch35 sewer pipe, we have seen less crush and collapse problems with that. The 4" black ads drain tile has a tendency to collapse over time.
    Certified in Hydraulics