Iíve been lurking around this forum for a little while absorbing as much as I can, and I think Iíve gathered enough information at this point that Iím comfortable with getting to work on my (soon to be) pool.
First, some chemistry as measured by a Taylor K-2006 test kit:
FC - 16ppm
CC - 0
pH - 7.4
TA - 80ppm
CH - 360ppm
CYA - A bit over 100 but Iím not sure by how much. I would guess itís at 120 or 140. I wasnít aware of the 1/2 tap water 1/2 pool water method when I performed the test for very high CYAs, but when I get a chance to get back to the pool I will take a more accurate measurement (Iím not full time in the house yet).
I would say that the bottom and sides of the pool are about 1/3 covered in algae right now. Also, the skimmers are completely underwater, and my understanding is that the water level should only go about 1/3 up the skimmer. This is about a 10,000 gallon pool, and I do not yet have a grasp on the condition of the DE filter. It reads 22 psi, but I have no idea what the ďstartingĒ pressure is.
So thatís where I am now. Hereís my plan of attack, with some questions sprinkled about:
I need to get the CYA down. My present understanding is that ~40 is a good goal, so Iím probably going to need to drain something like 60% of the pool, then fill it up again with water from the hose.
1) With a gunite pool thereís no problem with draining that 60% of water all at once right? The pool-ruining issues some people have to be careful with donít apply to me when draining massive amounts of water?
2) I am afraid of doing the drain wrong and breaking my pool pump. Iíve read a bit here and there about ďprimingĒ water from the skimmers, but I donít quite have a handle on how to keep that water there. Around the pump, I see a set of three pipes coming out of the ground, one labeled ďSkimĒ, one labeled ďMainĒ, and one that is not labeled. When I drain the pool, am I supposed to close the ďSkimĒ pipe to keep priming water?
3) Also, I have a solar collector that I can divert the flow of water through. If I have the water going through the solar collector, then shut off the pump, is that going to drain all the water from the collector and cause an issue when I turn the pump back on? Is there a valve Iím supposed to close to keep that ďprimedĒ as well?
4) The FC is that high because thatís whatís appropriate for the high CYA, right? I know that the previous owner was using trichlor tablets (or their pool service, I donít really know how it was taken care of).
5) The sight glass is totally green. Should I clean this out before tackling the algae problem I have?
6) I brushed the pool a bit with the long pool brush and noticed that a lot of stuff that looks like algae isnít coming off. Is that going to require a more thorough cleaning, or is that just some leftover stain from algae thatís been there before and wonít come out?
7) By the way, when you drain a pool, you just send that out the ďwasteĒ pipe, right?
Thank you all for this wonderful forum, and thanks in advance for your time and patience with all these questions!