Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jalapeno peppers--Heat reduction!

1. Back To Top    #1

Jalapeno peppers--Heat reduction!

This ties in to the thread I made on wifeys grilled Jalapeno recipe. To reduce the "HEAT" in those sliced, gutted out jalapenos(for all you NON-Texans!), you can soak them in 7up overnight. I'd soak mine in tequila if they wouldn't spontaneously combust!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

2. Back To Top    #2

Jalapeno peppers--Heat reduction!

This " NON-Texan " doesn't need any heat reduction woody ! Come on now !
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Jalapeno peppers--Heat reduction!

I guess your wife thinks you blow enough hot air already.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I read the title and said "Who would want to reduce the heat of a Jalapeno?" I've been complaining they aren't hot enough. I got a chuckle @ the Texan comment. (7th Gen Texan here)

Jalapeno Tequila....hmmm....
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

5. Back To Top    #5

We recently had a party and one of the offerings was green chili. This was the first time I made green chili (I make a whole lot more Texas red chili). Well I did several taste tests while I was making the green chili and then had my DW taste-test it as well. We both thought it had a good flavor, but I thought it needed more heat. DW thought I should leave it as-is since we were having a big crowd and were not sure of everyone's heat tolerance. We were at an impasse for a while. So while I was up one morning (and she was still asleep), I snuck another jalapeno in the chili (don't tell her). Then, after the morning caffeine kicked in, a better solution emerged...make my own green hot sauce and serve it on the side. Those who wanted more heat could add it to their serving. As it turned out, we got lots of compliments on both the green chili and the green hot sauce. All hail the power of the jalapeno!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
    I guess your wife thinks you blow enough hot air already.
    Yep........you met her alright!
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
    I read the title and said "Who would want to reduce the heat of a Jalapeno?" I've been complaining they aren't hot enough. I got a chuckle @ the Texan comment. (7th Gen Texan here)

If you want something hotter than a Jalapeno, you might want to try the Carolina Reaper Pepper. It is up to 300 times hotter than the Jalapeno.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/worlds...an-jalapeno-2/

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post

This!

Tom,
    22k IG plaster pool, Haywood DE6020 Pro Grid DE filer
    Century Centurion 2 HP single speed with Challenger Pentair front housing replacement. Polaris 280 and Polaris PB4-60 pump. Stenner Injection
    Pool is probably 1980-1990 vintage. Concrete deck

9. Back To Top    #9

Why is it that Texan's think they invented hot food?

HotSauces-sm.jpg
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Never said that. I lived in Baton Rouge for 12 years. Nothing can touch South Louisiana food.
    I was just seconding the comment that Jalapenos were not that hot
    Tom,
    22k IG plaster pool, Haywood DE6020 Pro Grid DE filer
    Century Centurion 2 HP single speed with Challenger Pentair front housing replacement. Polaris 280 and Polaris PB4-60 pump. Stenner Injection
    Pool is probably 1980-1990 vintage. Concrete deck

11. Back To Top    #11

Nice thread woodyP!
    hmm...I think Texans harnessed the heat via the Chili Queens of San Antonio and Louisiana perfected the flavor with the cayenne pepper and Creole. One thangs fer sure, I can’t get a nuff!
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22’X42’ Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10’X12’ Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

12. Back To Top    #12

That looks right tasty..........Pretty too!

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes Sir! What part of The East Texas are ya? I've been told not to admit it, but I'm a Buna Boy.

14. Back To Top    #14

HotSauces-sm.jpg
    Those are some very fine products there! All but the Crystal hot sauce have found a spot in my pantry. Love, love, love the Cajun Power Garlic Sauce. We use it to inject whole chickens before roasting them. Oh and we also coat the skin with a layer of Chacheres' too. My two oldest boys love anything hot and spicy! The last time the oldest made a batch of his nuclear salsa the fumes had me coughing in my room upstairs!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

Pragmatic,

So your from the major metro area of Buna, I drove through their on the way home the back way through Bon Weir about a year ago coming from Conroe. That was one strange evening, I ate at what had to be the worlds smallest Chilli's restaurant in the Wal-Mart parking lot in Sillsbee, then on up 96 through Buna while this crazy thunderstorm was approaching, wind gusting and lightning everywhere just at dusk.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

16. Back To Top    #16

Pragmatic,

So your from the major metro area of Buna, I drove through their on the way home the back way through Bon Weir about a year ago coming from Conroe. That was one strange evening, I ate at what had to be the worlds smallest Chilli's restaurant in the Wal-Mart parking lot in Sillsbee, then on up 96 through Buna while this crazy thunderstorm was approaching, wind gusting and lightning everywhere just at dusk.
    Wow, that's quite a drive! Yes sir, Buna is certainly an ole Lumber town (Bessmay). I really love the East Texas Pines. Our Family property was once all the area on and behind the Dairy Queen. I was born in what is now their "Old-Folks-Home". My fathers side are all from that area..Evadale, Kountz, Lumberton, Jasper and good ole Kirbyville!

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

HotSauces-sm.jpg
    Texans invented everything. Silly goose. We just let others put their names on it, you know...cause we don't want to look like jerks.

My wife just discovered the Creole seasoning...now it goes in everything hahaha.

I need to find some of that Cajun power Garlic sauce. Is it like Siracha?
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

18. Back To Top    #18

If you have an HEB nearby you might find Cajun Power there. They started selling it in Houston last year. I have bought it from a local restaurant/market and I have ordered gallon jugs from their website. They make a regular and a spicy version. Spicy is a little hotter than I like but I'm not a big fan of peppers, unlike my son who eat habeneros for fun. I like to cook with it, but the boys will use it like ketchup and just pour it over anything.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!