Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gunite Pool Bonding

1. Back To Top    #1

Gunite Pool Bonding

Attached is a picture of my brothers gunite pool bonding wire. When installed it was clamped to the rebar using some type of clamp. Question I have is why did the electric guy leave a loop in the wire? When the gunite was sprayed the gunite crew actually stuck the loop out into the pool past the gunite and left a formed socket like around the pool returns with the wire sticking out. They said the plaster crew would plaster it in when plaster is installed. Is this correct?

Bonding wire was connected to the pool in one spot and not in several spots all around the pool. Is this correct? And also connected to the rebar and welded wire on the concrete deck around the pool.

Thanks,
    Todd
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15x36 Gunite w/Diamond Brite(Bahama Breeze plaster), 3.5-6', Pentair Easytouch Automation panel, Pentair 3HP VS pump, Pentair CNC 420 filter, Pentair 5G color changing light, Polaris 360 cleaner w/booster, Pentair IC-20 SWG
    My pool build
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ales-Louisiana

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gunite Pool Bonding

No idea, but I'm curious too...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Here's another person scratching his head. I know that my pool has this ground wire around the perimeter, attached every so many feet with identical clamp. I have not seen any loops like this in mine.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

4. Back To Top    #4

I just wanted to make sure this is correct for when I have my electric done hopefully in a few weeks. AS far as I knew the #8 wire was clamped to the steel cage with out a loop.

Thanks,
    Todd

5. Back To Top    #5

The only reason I could think of doing that is to provide a bond to equipment that will be installed later. Are there any plans for spillways or metal sculptures or ladders or any other metal parts that will need to be connected in the future?
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

6. Back To Top    #6

By code the bonding wire is supposed to be attached to the rebar in the structural shell of the pool at four distinct locations spread out around the pool. That also applies, separately, to the steel reinforcing grid used in the deck (i.e. at least four connections for the deck and four more for the structural shell).

You do want to leave some slack in the wire near the point of connection to avoid mechanical stress damaging the connection during construction, but you don't need that much slack and there is no reason for the bonding wire to appear on the water side of the gunite unless there is a fixture or metal fitting of some kind intended for that location.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

He did mention adding a waterfall or some water feature on that side of the pool. But that's all I know. Thanks guys