Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tanning Shelf with a Vinyl Liner Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Tanning Shelf with a Vinyl Liner Pool

Hi - We are designing our vinyl liner pool, and were getting conflicting information on whether or not a tanning shelf (about 6-8 inches deep) is possible. The size of the shelf would be about 10 ft by 7 ft. Is it possible to incorporate this into a vinyl pool or would this be too shallow to effectively keep the liner down? Any other considerations if we were to add this to the plan?

Thanks!
    20k Gallon IG Vinyl Pool - 19 x 34 Rectangle - 3ft to 6ft depths

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tanning Shelf with a Vinyl Liner Pool

Hi! We just finished our build in august 2013. We have a tanning ledge 18 x 6! We love it! We could not lower the water level below the returns for winterizing, because it would mean no water on the shelf. We had our pb close the pool and they felt everything would be fine. Check out our build. Good luck with your build?
    18' x 38' IG Vinyl 21K
    1.5 Hp Hayward pump
    Double main drain, 4 returns
    Rheem heater
    18' x 6' Sun ledge, Automatic Cover, Interfab Extreme Slide

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Yes jeams it is possible but you do have the risk that the liner will pull away from the corner as there won't be enough water to hold it. This will happen more over time as the liner ages rather than when it is new.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Rmonile View Post
    Hi! We just finished our build in august 2013. We have a tanning ledge 18 x 6! We love it! We could not lower the water level below the returns for winterizing, because it would mean no water on the shelf. We had our pb close the pool and they felt everything would be fine. Check out our build. Good luck with your build?
    Perhaps it was your I remember. If not, then we have seen at least a couple here.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jeams View Post
    a tanning shelf (about 6-8 inches deep) is possible.
    Would this 6-8" be water depth or total distance from deck to floor? 6-8" of water depth should be adequate, but that's the least amount of water I would want to keep on top of the liner.

6. Back To Top    #6

The 6-8 would be water depth. With the concerns about not being able to lower the water below the skimmers to winterize, and the possibility that the liner may tear away from the floor over time, we may decide against it.

Is it possible to built just the tanning shelf out if concrete or some other material, and then connect it seamlessly to the rest of the vinyl pool?

20k Gallon IG Vinyl Pool - 19 x 34 Rectangle - 3ft to 6ft depths

7. Back To Top    #7

It shouldn't be much different from having vinyl covered steps. I googled tanning shelf for vinyl pools and found a couple of other options you may consider. One was a raised tanning pool with either a vinyl or tile surface and a spillover feature. To winterize you would drain and cap that 1 return line. The rest of the pool you would winterize as usual.

I thought I had seen drop in fiberglass tanning ledges before but I could not find one searching on my iPad.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

There is at least 1 fiberglass option we are looking at using in our pool
    18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights