heating in a northern climate

Feb 9, 2014
Canada
good morning all. newbe starting in. not sure if I joined the right forum everyone seems to be from a lot warmer climate than myself. I'm trying to find the best type of solar heater to supplement heating in an IG pool. we are only in the planing stage, and oh ya we're from northern ontario (-40 winters)

Hey north man. I'm from southern Quebec, which is not that much warmer than northern On. I know people who use retractable plastic solar covers and are happy with the temp boost they're getting. Don't waste your money on chemical solar blankets. I tried those when I used to have a pool and they did nothing.

Another friend will be installing an electric heat pump powered by high quality solar panels this summer. I'm curious as to how efficient that will turn out to be. Might be nice if I could use solar for my hot tub.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

In the far north, solar can work very well to provide supplemental heat during swimming season. Say your water is 70 degrees in June, using solar to boost that up to 80 is quite practical.

In the far north, solar works less well to extend the swimming season significantly into the spring/fall. This can be done with very large panels, and/or panels using evacuated glass tubes, but there are challenges that make it more complex/impractical for most people. For example conventional panels run risks from sudden cold snaps and are less efficient at low air temperatures. Evacuated glass tubes can still work even at low air temperatures but they cost significantly more and the plumbing still needs to be protected from freezing (which limits your season length).