Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: heating in a northern climate

1. Back To Top    #1

heating in a northern climate

good morning all. newbe starting in. not sure if I joined the right forum everyone seems to be from a lot warmer climate than myself. I'm trying to find the best type of solar heater to supplement heating in an IG pool. we are only in the planing stage, and oh ya we're from northern ontario (-40 winters)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: heating in a northern climate

Welcome to the forum!

We have more than a few Canadians here. Someone else will have to weigh in on the Solar heater options, but we have members here who can help.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey north man. I'm from southern Quebec, which is not that much warmer than northern On. I know people who use retractable plastic solar covers and are happy with the temp boost they're getting. Don't waste your money on chemical solar blankets. I tried those when I used to have a pool and they did nothing.

Another friend will be installing an electric heat pump powered by high quality solar panels this summer. I'm curious as to how efficient that will turn out to be. Might be nice if I could use solar for my hot tub.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the far north, solar can work very well to provide supplemental heat during swimming season. Say your water is 70 degrees in June, using solar to boost that up to 80 is quite practical.

In the far north, solar works less well to extend the swimming season significantly into the spring/fall. This can be done with very large panels, and/or panels using evacuated glass tubes, but there are challenges that make it more complex/impractical for most people. For example conventional panels run risks from sudden cold snaps and are less efficient at low air temperatures. Evacuated glass tubes can still work even at low air temperatures but they cost significantly more and the plumbing still needs to be protected from freezing (which limits your season length).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to tfp, north man

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    In the far north, solar can work very well to provide supplemental heat during swimming season. Say your water is 70 degrees in June, using solar to boost that up to 80 is quite practical.
    I am from Minnesota, and I use solar much like JasonLion described.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.