Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mineral Pool Salts

1. Back To Top    #1

Mineral Pool Salts

Hi there, we have a pool being installed in Melbourne Australia in a few weeks. When we were buying it we like the sound of the Mineral Pool Salts, supposedly making it feel a bit nicer on your skin due to the increased level or magnesium and potassium. Works with existing salt chlorinator...so i am guess it converts these minerals into chlorine?

Now i am not so sure if its a good idea. The brochure is gloosy and fully of marketing stuff and next to no detailed info. I got the guy to throw them in as part of the deal but he did say they were worth about $300 extra. T be honest i would be happy with it just working well with little hassle and expense.

Any thoughts on whether these minerals are worthwhile, or should i tell him to stick with standard salts. I reckon i could get him to swap these fancy salts for a cartridge filter ( i bought sand with glass media).

Also, cool forum, been doing lots of reading, very helpful

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mineral Pool Salts

The general consensus here is that plain pool salt is all that's needed. You can use those other combinations but it just costs more without added benefit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

A tenant of TFPC is not to add anything to your pool you do not need........nor anything that might have an unexpected outcome.

Get your pool water chemistry balanced and maintain it according the the TFPC method in Pool School and you will never look back.

And, no, do not expect them to help convert salt to chlorine......it's all bogus.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, it all sounded great when I was talking to the pool sale guys, but he did not really push it very hard, but when you look at the product info its all marketing there is no spec...always makes me suspect.

I have asked them to switch the glass media and mineral extras into a cartridge filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

From memory when I was harassed by the pool store about this - it was magnesium sulphate (Epsom salts).

Not to be confused with softswim, which is remarketed baquacil.
    Brand new 30,000 Litre (~8000Gal) inground Leisure Pools fibreglass, Astral Pool Viron 3 speed 1.5Hp P320 pump, Hurlcon VX 3 T SWCG, Hurlcon ZX100 cartridge filter.
    Two mustard algae events, lots of bad pool store advice - double the salt level it should be (sigh), large amounts of copper based algaecide, 50 litres of 12.5% liquid chlorine, 2 litres of clarifier. $300 in chemicals in two weeks.