Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question on my pump motor

1. Back To Top    #1

Question on my pump motor

I've attached a picture, can someone decipher what all this means please. I'm thinking to go to a 2 speed pump and am totally lost.

I know that it is a square flange fit to the pump. I run it 4 hours in the winter and 6 hours in the summer.

Also attached is my filter info. I'm just preparing for a motor fail when I least expect it this summer. Would I need to change out the impeller as well ? Would cost of a new one not be worth it or should I just get this one rebuilt depending on what part gives out. It's about 3 years old.

Maybe I'm being nervous, it's not very loud but I just want to be a step ahead.

EDIT: Looks like a round Flange

Thanks

Sent -3 or -8
    Last edited by Mark R; 02-08-2014 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Update
    12k gal Gunite/Hayward filter C5520BH with quad 33 inch filters. 2.5 hp motor. Pool is on south side, so full sun light. Spill over spa.
    Laar's heater LT250-Low NOx Gas Fired for pool/spa 250,000 BTU. Roof mount 6 panel solar system installed east/south. TF-100 test kit. May-September 100+ degrees out side.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question on my pump motor

My filter size is the 550 filtration area

Sent -3 or -8
    12k gal Gunite/Hayward filter C5520BH with quad 33 inch filters. 2.5 hp motor. Pool is on south side, so full sun light. Spill over spa.
    Laar's heater LT250-Low NOx Gas Fired for pool/spa 250,000 BTU. Roof mount 6 panel solar system installed east/south. TF-100 test kit. May-September 100+ degrees out side.

3. Back To Top    #3

So you have one 2 1/2 hp pump running your spa, pool filtration, and solar panels in a 12k pool? That sounds like a lot of pump for the job! Your pump label is too blurry to read the other important info, such as voltage and service factor. Can you try taking another shot of the label? Also how far away from the pool are the solar panels? Are they roof mounted?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Solar is on the roof, single story house. They are about 25 ft away on top of the roof.

I thought 2 1/2 was a lot too but that's what it came with.

I'll post better pics

Sent -3 or -8

5. Back To Top    #5

The driving factor is the spa. How are the jets for you? Only way you can go with a smaller pump would be if you feel the jets are currently too strong.

You could still benefit with a 2 speed by running on low when solar and spa are not on.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Gage is always at 20 unless the solar is on, then goes to 30. New filters as of December, the old ones were about 7 years old

Sent -3 or -8

7. Back To Top    #7

Sent -3 or -8

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    So you have one 2 1/2 hp pump running your spa, pool filtration, and solar panels in a 12k pool? That sounds like a lot of pump for the job! Your pump label is too blurry to read the other important info, such as voltage and service factor. Can you try taking another shot of the label? Also how far away from the pool are the solar panels? Are they roof mounted?
    Pool is about 25ft away from panels and they are on the roof

8. Back To Top    #8

Sent -3 or -8

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    The driving factor is the spa. How are the jets for you? Only way you can go with a smaller pump would be if you feel the jets are currently too strong.

You could still benefit with a 2 speed by running on low when solar and spa are not on.
    Jets are perfect they way they are, I can turbo them if I want more

10. Back To Top    #10

What does Turbo mean? Is that an air blower?

If you like the jets now, then you will just have to get a similar sized 2-speed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, air blower. Turbo charger for the spa bubbles.