Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium build up around water line on tiles

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium build up around water line on tiles

It's gone. Does this happen naturally now that my water chemistry is perfect for my pool. I recently changed my pool water and presto, there's nothing on the tiles.

I had to scrub once a month during the summer cause of the nasty water here in the desert and had a pool service company service my pool.

My CH is in the 300-400 range now, before it was 900. Will it come back or is it gone as long as I maintain current chemistry levels

Please move if in wrong forum

Thank you
    12k gal Gunite/Hayward filter C5520BH with quad 33 inch filters. 2.5 hp motor. Pool is on south side, so full sun light. Spill over spa.
    Laar's heater LT250-Low NOx Gas Fired for pool/spa 250,000 BTU. Roof mount 6 panel solar system installed east/south. TF-100 test kit. May-September 100+ degrees out side.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium build up around water line on tiles

I don't have any trouble with waterline scale and my CH is higher than yours was, and has been for most of the last three years. Keep tabs on CSI and there's no problem at all. http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html will calculate CSI for you.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you
    12k gal Gunite/Hayward filter C5520BH with quad 33 inch filters. 2.5 hp motor. Pool is on south side, so full sun light. Spill over spa.
    Laar's heater LT250-Low NOx Gas Fired for pool/spa 250,000 BTU. Roof mount 6 panel solar system installed east/south. TF-100 test kit. May-September 100+ degrees out side.

4. Back To Top    #4

When I moved in to our current house, I inherited the same white calcium ring on the tiles. Once I found TFP, I first had to get a handle on the FC/CYA relationship. Then I focused on the CSI. By managing the CSI and keeping it slightly negative, the white calcium line slowly disappeared. The disappearance was just slightly faster than a speeding glacier, but it a was steady improvement. Took about a year and a half in my case without any scrubbing. This season will mark the 3rd swim season that the calcium line has been gone. My CH is in the 300-350 range which is equivalent to your current reading. However, I have never had a CH anywhere near 900. Since I began testing, 380 has been my max. If your CH starts to drift up, pay attention to the CSI as Richard320 suggested. Although there's not much you can do about the calcium present in municipal water, be sure to avoid any chlorine that contains calcium hypochlorite (cal-hypo) as that adds calcium to the pool.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.