Thinking of dark pebble finish??

May 3, 2013
Ok just finished a Tahoe blue aggregate finish. If someone can post pics I would gladly email.

Ok I am not an experienced pool person so to help others with a difficult decision in pool color I thought I would pass along my thought on the new finish vs the old plain white plaster.

The pictures of colors can be dizzying there are so many choices. We went with Tahoe Blue and I am satisfied with the finish but.... In all honesty I think you have to take the whole yard into account and also other pool finishes as tile choice can clash easily vs a simple white plaster pool.

The best way to describe the color is to understand when and why you see so many different shades on the net. first off the water is still clear so yes you can see the bottom no issues. That said the biggest difference is from a distance you are now looking at the reflection of the water sort of like a mirror vs seeing through it on a white plaster pool. The darker the finish the more reflection you see.

When you see them looking almost black it is the reflection of the surroundings. You will also see more of your yard reflected in the pool vs the pool itself.

The closer you get to the pool the more you see the actual finish. Yes it is quite spectacular when there is water movement.

Ok now you walk to the shallow end and you now see right through the water and see the actual finish. The water does appear to take on a lighter shade. If you look from the shallow end into the deep end you see the finish slowly disappearing and going into a total reflection of the sky or the surroundings.

In bright sunlight the see through effect to the finish is more intense. Unless in total bright sunlight you will always see some reflection in deep water vs seeing through to the bottom. That said if something is in water you then see that thing.

To me I think I might like the lighter look better. You are looking in the pool vs the reflection. Plus if you do not have the stone look coping or surrounding it kind of loses it's effect. Look at the beach water and you kind of get the idea in the distance.

I like it and love the finish itself but a crisp blue water with some old style 3x3 blue tile certainly gives a more inviting pool feel. Just make sure you like the idea of jumping into a lake with a colored finish. It really is a totally different type look not just a color change so choose carefully.

Sounds about right. I have a dark finish and up close no problems but from ten or so feet away you see the reflection of the water. I however do like it and wouldn't trade it. Heck sometimes while in the pool I feel like I am in the middle of the ocean. Now if we could get some warm days in SE Texas. The water is so cold my Polaris is having issues unraveling its pump cord.

I am in the camp of lighter and somewhat more "natural" colors for a finish. I'm after the water color and the dark finishes don't give me what I am after in that regard. Every pool we've looked at locally had a very dark blue or nearly black finish. We don't care for either. One looked so unnaturally blue it resembled toilet bowl blue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.