Where has my CYA gone?

nate

Jan 7, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Just finished the SLAM & its all looking perfect on all the levels.

About a month before the SLAM (2 months ago) I added CYA & it was at the upper levels 80-90.
Tested it again & its <10!

I've only done about 3-4 back washes, but they're only <2min & probably lost about 3" of so of water level all up.
I thought high chlorine might throw off the test, but we're back down to FC: 6 & there's no CYA.

How have I lost my CYA?
(test kit is <1 month old)

I'll grab some more, but i'm hesitant to pop more in - in such a short time frame. :(

What are you using to test the CYA? How is your chlorine consumption? What percentage is the SWG set at?

Taylor 2006 - 1 month old kit
good - passed the OLT 2 weeks ago, just figuring out where my SWG needs to be set with my pool - so changing the levels a bit.
Very little debris makes its way into the pool - a manual clean every week yields very little dust/dirt/leaves. The skimmer picks up most leaves during its daily cycle, & less than 12 leaves make it to the bottom each week.

The cell is on its way out - 6 years old & can only get 18/30 at maximum setting (g per hour *i think*)
Spoke to the Watermaid people & i'll get another 6-12 months out of it no issues.
Just cleaned the cell & its currently running at 12, so keeping up no issues (can go to 18 if I need to)

only 6hrs of sun maximum a day - as its between houses, so gets a lot less direct sunlight each day.

Some types of organisms "eat" CYA.
Occasionally true but most always in a neglected pool over a longer dormant period....like months.
I have no Idea where that CYA has gone but I will mention that you may be the third or fourth Australian posting hear with CYA loss in the middle of swim season. I have no explanation.

It is almost never the test but there would be no harm in a Pool Store opinion. They seldom are very accurate but probably not that far off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.