Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing Controller - Where to Start?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing Controller - Where to Start?

Our current controller is a Fiberstars WPC-2 and while it works okay normally, I don't care for the air temperature sensor-based freeze protection. I've considered upgrading my panel in order to get a water temperature-based sensor, but my pool company's recommendation for a $2000 replacement left me cold. (Sorry.)

Our needs are pretty basic, I thought - remote for the light and waterfalls, and clock timer for pump scheduling, plus water temperature freeze protection.

Recommendations for specific panels would be fine, but I'm really looking for a starting point in order to research the issue and compare features. Can you point me in the right direction, please?
    Jaywalker

In-ground, 11,000 gallon, plaster, in-line trichlor pucks or BBB bottled chlorine, 1.5 HP pump @ ~100 gallons/minute, cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing Controller - Where to Start?

I thought all automation systems used air temperature for freeze protection
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You might consider the Z4 system from Jandy/Zodiac. You can buy it with or without the wifi antenna to connect to your home network.
    APSP Certified Building Professional
    APSP Certified Service Professional
    NSPF Certified Pool Operator

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I thought all automation systems used air temperature for freeze protection
    That had not occurred to me. I like my pool company for repairs, and when they said everything else they worked on was water-sensored, while mine was old, I assumed that technology had passed me by.

poolkid, I'll look at the Z4, thanks.

Is there any basic controller 101 info I can review?
    Jaywalker

In-ground, 11,000 gallon, plaster, in-line trichlor pucks or BBB bottled chlorine, 1.5 HP pump @ ~100 gallons/minute, cartridge filter

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The freeze protections are based upon the air temperature. For a very basic system you could go with a Pentair Suntouch. However, if you current system has the breakers inside the control panel, which I'm pretty sure it does, you will then need to find a similar system so you can remove the old control box and mount a new one with the breakers in it. This is probably what your pool company quoted you for $2K.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    The freeze protections are based upon the air temperature. For a very basic system you could go with a Pentair Suntouch. However, if you current system has the breakers inside the control panel, which I'm pretty sure it does, you will then need to find a similar system so you can remove the old control box and mount a new one with the breakers in it. This is probably what your pool company quoted you for $2K.
    They quoted for the Hayward E-Command 4 (HPC-4-ACT_RC) plus installation.

The problem is that I asked for the quote based upon my belief that I needed a water-temperature-sensor-based system; the old one is working okay. Since I don't need to move away from the air-temperature-sensor-based system, then I have no need for a new panel.

I say the old one is working okay, but I don't know what temperature kicks it on (though ice does close the circuit), and based as it is in a warmer panel box against my house, the temperature probably reads higher than ambient.

So - nice save, folks. I'll revisit when the control box gives up completely. Thanks.
    Jaywalker