Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Questions on two speed pumps

1. Back To Top    #1

Questions on two speed pumps

Our pool is a 30 foot round above ground pool dished out to approximately 6 feet deep. It is roughly 24,000 gallons. We have solar heating panels on the roof of our garage which goes up to about 20 feet high and we pump the water up to the panels (6 2' x 20' panels) through underground piping which is approximately 50 feet from the pool to the base of the garage. We were told we would need a 1.5 hp pump for this but I am wondering if we could use a lower hp 2 speed pump instead. We have a Hayward Pro Matrix pump and a Hayward DE filter. Can we do this? I just found out that we can get a $150 rebate from our electric company for using a high efficiency pump. They were also showing how much electric we could save. I am all for that right now. Thanks for any help!
    30 ft. round Aqua Leader agp with dished out center 23,800 gallons; 1.5 hp Hayward pro matrix pump; Hayward EC50 DE filter; solar panels; solar cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Questions on two speed pumps

I use a Hayward Matrix 2-speed 1 hp pump to run my solar panels (6 2X20 plumbed in parallel) on my one story garage that start at about 10.5 feet above my pump and go up to about 17.5 feet. I know my pump has plenty of head to go higher than that (from playing around with it and an extended pipe). By the way, with a clean filter, I am also able to prime my panels on low, but since they are more efficient on high that is the speed I typically prime/run them.

Is 20 feet the top of the panels, or where they start?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by linen View Post
    I use a Hayward Matrix 2-speed 1 hp pump to run my solar panels (6 2X20 plumbed in parallel) on my one story garage that start at about 10.5 feet above my pump and go up to about 17.5 feet. I know my pump has plenty of head to go higher than that (from playing around with it and an extended pipe). By the way, with a clean filter, I am also able to prime my panels on low, but since they are more efficient on high that is the speed I typically prime/run them.

Is 20 feet the top of the panels, or where they start?
    20 feet is the at the top of our panels. maybe a foot or so less. How long do you run your pump each day? I am new to this but our power company estimated a decent savings and I remember other posts stating that it was a good idea. Did you always have this pump or did you replace a one speed with this ?
    30 ft. round Aqua Leader agp with dished out center 23,800 gallons; 1.5 hp Hayward pro matrix pump; Hayward EC50 DE filter; solar panels; solar cover

4. Back To Top    #4

Except for a month or two, this is the pump I have had since I put this pool in (~4 years ago). When I am not running the panels, then I run on low speed...In my yard because of the trees, I usually only run the panels 5 hours/day (when I need the heat). I also have a swg, so that is typically what actually determines my pump on time.

2-speed pumps are a great idea, since most pools only need a little circulation for a fairly short period on low speed to keep the chemicals mixed and the water clear. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-pump-run-time

What all qualifies for the rebate? Would replacing your existing motor with a 2-speed motor qualify?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

it appears that the purchase of a high efficiency two speed pump is all that is needed to qualify for the $150 rebate. That along with the energy savings will more than pay for the new pump. Thanks for your help.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm going to upgrade my pump to a 2 speed this year. I ran my Hayward about 4 hours a day last summer and never backwashed my filter from July til the time I closed in mid September. We had minimal debris accumulate in the pool and on the surface. Upgrading to the 2 speed would be a HUGE plus for us!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

If you have PPL Casey, make sure you apply for the rebate.

8. Back To Top    #8

My concern would be the back pressure from the DE filter, I have a Hayward EC75 DE filter, along with a 2 speed 1.5 HP pump and solar panels and it seems the perflex style DE filters cause much more back pressure than other filter designs. In my case it can't provide enough pressure to prime my solar panels on low, and the highest point on my panels is at less than 20 feet above ground level.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the info. We have a Hayward Perflex and I am a little afraid to make a change without being certain that it will circulate the water correctly. Our pool is at least 50 feet from the garage and is slightly down hill from the garage. The top of the solar panels is at least 20 feet above the filter and I assume all of that requires a fairly strong pump. I want to run the filter during the day to circulate the warm water. It really would not make sense to switch pumps if most of the day I would have to run at high power.

10. Back To Top    #10

I run mostly on high in the spring and fall for solar. In the summer the water is warm enough and solar is not needed, so run mostly low. In the winter, solar will not warm the pool enough, so I do not run it and keep the pump mostly low.

My automation will automatically switch to high if solar is needed and back to low when solar not needed.

So a 2 speed can still make sense.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!