Possible death of a pump? Or something else?

Oct 25, 2010
Temecula, CA
Hi all,

A couple of days ago, I noticed that my pump had not come on. I went to the timer to see if it was indeed time to be on and it was. There was no nothing coming out of the pump, quiet.
I asked hubby to reset the breaker, thinking that was the issue. In this case, the breaker was tripped. When I turned on the pump, I got a high pitched hum for about 10 seconds, then it went off.
The pump did not come on. Hubby reset the breaker and we checked another switch that makes our pool light go on/off. It's usually in the off position, it was on so we turned it off. I tried again
with the pump. This time the hum happened for about 5 seconds and success, pump came on.

I've been gone for 2 days, don't know if the pump has run because it's not "hubby's job" to check it so he doesn't. But today, its the same thing. Only this time, after resetting the breaker and checking
the light switch, I got the hum for 10 seconds but no activity from the pump. Hubby went back but breaker was not tripped but he reset it anyway. Again the hum, again no activity from the pump.

I don't want to believe the pump has died. I'm not sure how long the pump has been installed - it came with the house when we bought in 2010. How long should these pumps last

I have a Purex Triton Whisperflo pump, 1.5 horsepower. model wfe-6 if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance for any ideas...
Anne

Hi Anne -

Experts abound here, but assuming your pump spins freely and (when it does run) emits the normal amount of noise (no squealing or grinding, etc.), it would sure sound like you simply need a new start capacitor for your existing pump motor - usually a very straightforward project that a low-level DIY person can accomplish for less than $25.

That being said, an expert hereabouts should be in to say yay or nay.

Currently in Northern Illinois at 6 degrees F, with 13,500 gallons of solid ice in the backyard.

Since the pump says Purex, it's probably pretty old. If it's seized, then it's likely bad. If it's getting proper voltage, and not starting, it's probably bad.

If you do need a new pump or motor, you could go to a smaller HP or two speed or variable speed.

To keep the pool from going green, maintain fc by adding bleach and brushing the pool to mix it in.

Since the pump says Purex, it's probably pretty old. If it's seized, then it's likely bad. If it's getting proper voltage, and not starting, it's probably bad.

If you do need a new pump or motor, you could go to a smaller HP or two speed or variable speed.

To keep the pool from going green, maintain fc by adding bleach and brushing the pool to mix it in.

It is an old pump and I can't tell if it turns freely. I read about how to check but this pump doesn't offer that option. When you mentioned about a "smaller HP" you mean smaller horsepower? Is there some way to determine what is the best pump for the this pool. We are all electric at our place so running the pump full time consistently has me in Tier 4 prices (.32 for tier4) - wondering if it would be worth it to put on variable speed pump to bring down costs?

We will not stay in the house for longer than 5 more years so hoping not to spend a ton. Thanks!

Gosh I just read pump basics and another pool pump sizing article. Seems as though, since I don't have any spas or waterfalls, I can get away with the single speed still and a lower HP as stated by James W. The article I had started talking about GPM and head and I got lost.. but before that it seemed reasonable that a single speed pump on the lower side of 50-60GPM would be OK. 1.5 or lower and probably lower HP? Does that sound reasonable?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think that if you wanted to replace the motor, you could go down to a 1/2 hp motor. You would need to replace the impeller, seal, housing gasket, and diffuser gasket. Due to the pump's age, there is a risk of other damage that might not be visible until the pump is disassembled. Therefore, it might be better to replace the whole pump. Or, at least disassemble it before getting the motor. Depending on the cost of all of the parts, it might not be worthwhile putting money into this old pump.

If you want to replace the whole pump, you could go with a small single speed or a two speed or variable speed. All manufacturers have variable speed pumps available. There are new lower cost variable speed pumps available. You don't need much flow, so you could go with a fairly small pump.

Note: In California, the filter pump can be a single speed pump only if the total hp is less than 1.0. Otherwise,it has to be a two speed or variable speed. At your electrical cost, a two speed or variable speed would probably be a good choice.

Also, you might qualify for rebates or other incentives. Check with your utility for details.

[edit/update]
I think that based on your energy costs, even if you could get your current pump to work, it would still be worthwhile replacing it with a variable speed pump. Your utility probably will give you a rebate for going to a variable speed pump. For example, Southern California Edison will give a $200.00 rebate for customers replacing their current pump with a qualifying variable speed pump. (See list at their site). Some of the qualifying pumps include:

Max-Flo VS
Super Pump VS SP2600VSP
TriStar - VS Variable Speed Pump
EcoStar

VS Pro Flo

IntelliFlo
SuperFlo VS
SuperMax VS

IntelliPro

ePump JEP1.5 or JEP2.0[end edit]

Some of the pumps can be found in the $600.00 to $650.00 range. Subtract the rebate, and you're down in the $400.00 to $450.00 range for a new pump that will save you a lot of money on electrical costs.

Wow, thanks for the info. I found an Intelliflo on craigslist for $350. It's 18 months old. He said they changed because of a change in their control panel. Guessing the rebate would not be available for used pumps. :)

By the way, the pump is an Intelliflo vs-3050 - is that too much for my pool?

The IntelliFlo won't be too much because you can control the speed. However, I would be cautious about buying one used. The rebate might be available for a used pump. It's worth asking.

It looks like the one on Craigslist is saying that their pool service company will verify that the pump is in good working condition. Perhaps it would be worthwhile contacting the company to see if they will put that in writing in an e-mail to you.

My concern about the used pump is that if there is a problem, especially with the drive controller, then you won't have a warranty and be stuck with a non-working pump.

I think that I would go with the new $400 variable speed pump ($600.00 -200.00).

Thanks, so I'm now looking online at a few options. I currently have a Polaris 380 with booster pump (came with the place). Don't know if this matters. Per the list you sent, I'm thinking Max FloVS, SuperFlo VS and Supermax VS - as I noticed the HP on the others is up to 2 and 3, while I had just determined that maybe 1.5 was too much. I'll keep looking but when you mentioned "a fairly small pump" are you referring to HP? Thanks again

Looking at this one at the moment: http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP2300VSP-Max-Flo-Variable-Speed-Certified/dp/B00C76UUK0

I think that the Pentair SuperFloVS would be a good choice. It should be a good pump at a good price. I think that the SuperFlo VS and the SuperMax VS are the same pump, just with different labels.

The Hayward Max-Flo VS would also be a good choice.

The other thing to consider is the power supply. The SuperFlo VS takes 230 volts, 10 amps. Based on your old pump, your supply should be fine, but you might want to check just to be sure. The IntelliFlo takes 230, 16 amps, which might exceed your supply.

Also, if you have a gfci breaker, it might not work with the new pump. Some gfci breakers trip due to the way that variable speed pumps use power in a way that does not match the supply frequency. If necessary, special breakers are available. Pentair has these designed to work with variable speed pumps.

http://www.pentairpool.com/products/pumps-pump-accessories-1-and-2-pole-gfci-breaker-428.htm

Note that the rebate information I cited is for Southern California Edison. If you have a different utility, you should check their site for rebate information and qualifying pumps.

Thanks for your input, I needed a little help. :) I'm in SCE territory so you gave me the info I needed. I think I might have a gfci pump, seems I have to do a bit more research. My husband can install it but I need to make sure I have everything sorted. He just doesn't want to be involved until he needs to be. lol I better get reading. Thanks JamesW

The GFCI breaker looks different from a regular breaker. Current local code might dictate GFCI breakers for pool pumps. If you have a GFCI breaker, it might work with the new pump. If not, they're not too hard to change.

If you don't have a gfci breaker, it would be better to replace the existing breaker. The Pentair breaker is designed to work with variable speed pumps and it also provides "Personnel" protection, which also required in the new code.

http://www.poolproconnection.com/20...about-gfci-breakers-and-variable-speed-pumps/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.