LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2008
Texas
pH 7.8
FC 3.5
CC .5
TA 80
CH 400

What needs adjusting and where exactly should I be?
I've noticed the pH creeping up over the last few weeks, and the TA has slowly gone down some, but overall everything seems to be hanging around these levels. The pool looks great (thanks to this site and my new test kit), and I'm really impressed with my new Blue Pearl automatic. Should have made both of those purchases a long time ago!

ok, please tell me what I am doing or HOW to do that particular test. I just don't get it I guess. For some reason I can't read it, or (which could very well be the case) I am doing it totally wrong. I quit trying for fear of just using up every bit of my testing stuff and not getting anywhere.

What is the relationship between calcium and CYA if any? Or high pH and calcium or CYA?

Joyce,

Thank you! That is exactly what I needed...a visual. Thank you again!
Ok, at the start of this summer I had seen a reading from the pool store (I leaned over and actually saw it myself) that said my CYA was 150. Then I received my test kit and began to test for myself. When filling the tube I had it filled to the top, or using everything from the mix, and I could still see that black dot....clear as a bell. Everyone here said, "you have no CYA...get the sock etc." I just really thought I was doing the test wrong and was afraid to add anything for fear I would be adding too much.
So, for the past month I have thrown in a puck or two along with my bleach when needed...because I knew you guys were right :wink:

Fast forward to my kitchen chemistry lab 5 minutes ago. I did the test. I thought I was in for the same experience, but when I got to about half full, the black dot faded away just like the picture. At a little over the 30 mark it was gone.
I actually played with the rest....poured it all in just to see and now I feel like I "get" what the test is after. It's my OCD talking... :roll:

So my questions now are:

Can I call that result a 28 or do you just say 30? The kit directions state to go with the closest mark. I was definitely over the 30 mark by a little.
What the heck was that reading at the pool store? I know I have asked this before, but seriously, the computer test can't be THAT far off can it? That's terrible if it is.
And now with my results complete, what do I need to do?

You are welcome, glad it helped.

SeaBass said:
So my questions now are:

Can I call that result a 28 or do you just say 30?

I'd just call it 30.

The kit directions state to go with the closest mark. I was definitely over the 30 mark by a little.
What the heck was that reading at the pool store? I know I have asked this before, but seriously, the computer test can't be THAT far off can it? That's terrible if it is.
Some pool store testing can be way off.

And now with my results complete, what do I need to do?

You may want to increase your CYA to around 50, especially if you have lots of sun on the pool. :lol:

Keep an eye on your pH, and as Jason said, keep it under 7.8.

Have you tested your fill water for CH?

Add your equipment info in your signature when you have a minute.

Oh, and go swimming and enjoy your pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.