Trying to figure this all out! OVERWHELMED!

Just wanted to give an update. It's been 6 days now since I started this process. I've bleached and scrubbed and changed filters so many times I've lost count (at least 4 times a day). Water went from green pea soup to clear (not green) with a faint sight (or maybe it's a mirage) of the bottom starting to appear. I've ordered the test kit recommended from this site YIPPEE and won't post any new numbers until I get the test (probably Tuesday-I hope). I would post a photo but it says my pic is invalid. :scratch: Chlorine is still registering above 5 so I'm not sure exactly the number only the color is staying orange/red. In the meantime, I will continue to scrub and change filters! I feel like a new mom again as I've not devoted this much time to anything since the birth of my son! I'm the first one up and the last to go to bed. And I'm supposed to be on VACATION! :hammer:

Hubby thinks I've lost it and keeps saying, "Are you reading about the pool AGAIN :rant: .......Are you testing the water AGAIN :rant: ............are you going back out to the pool AGAIN????" :rant:

As soon as the GOOD TEST KIT (TF100) arrives, I'll post "accurate" numbers. :wink:

austinsmom01 said:
Thank you. I'm just frustrated so right now and I'm mad I can't go buy a GOOD test kit at a local store rather than wait for it to come in the mail. I appreciate your comments and was really all I needed to hear. My honey thinks I'm crazy getting up at 6 am and going out at midnight to scrub everyday and check with a flashlight. I WILL get that kit so I can get better advice. Thanks much!

Isn't that frustrating, though? I did the same thing, with driving all over town to get a good test kit! There were a few that contained the CYA test, but none the FAS-DPD! And the ones that contained the CYA did not have good instructions in their kit. :rant:

If you want you can measure the FC level this evening and again first thing tomorrow morning to see if you have killed all the algae. The level will be the same, or very close, if the algae is dead.

Other than that, you just need to give the filter time to do it's job. Keep an eye on the filter pressure and backwash/clean the filter as needed.

JasonLion said:
If you want you can measure the FC level this evening and again first thing tomorrow morning to see if you have killed all the algae. The level will be the same, or very close, if the algae is dead.

Other than that, you just need to give the filter time to do it's job. Keep an eye on the filter pressure and backwash/clean the filter as needed.

I'll do it. My pump has been running for a solid week now 24/7 with filter cleanings 4 times a day. Once it clears how often should I run the pump? Is it normal to have 0 CC? I currently do not have the floater in with stabilizer. Should I not use it at all? Thanks much!

My blood pressure is now down to a normal level as well! :lol:

austinsmom01 said:
I'll do it. My pump has been running for a solid week now 24/7 with filter cleanings 4 times a day. Once it clears how often should I run the pump? Is it normal to have 0 CC? I currently do not have the floater in with stabilizer. Should I not use it at all? Thanks much!

My blood pressure is now down to a normal level as well! :lol:

It kinda just depends on the pool. Some folk do 8 hrs, some do 12, some do 3 shifts of 4, etc.

0 CC is perfect, anything more than .5 and you should shock.

You do not need a floater . Your CYA is fine and you don't really need to raise it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Quick question......

My FC was

last night-22
this am-19
this afternoon 2:30 p.m.-15.5

Seems it's coming down pretty fast. Is this normal? Remember I've had algae and shocked about a week ago. Is the water safe to swim? I've read on here that it's best to wait for it to come down under 10. Is this true?

CYA-60
PH-7.5
TA-90

austinsmom01 said:
Quick question......

My FC was

last night-22
this am-19
this afternoon 2:30 p.m.-15.5

Seems it's coming down pretty fast. Is this normal? Remember I've had algae and shocked about a week ago. Is the water safe to swim? I've read on here that it's best to wait for it to come down under 10. Is this true?

CYA-60
PH-7.5
TA-90

Before you answer......that was incorrect. I didn't measure FC last night because we got home late from a ball game (1230a) so I forgot to test. That 22 number was from yesterday afternoon. I will test again this evening and then first thing in the am to see if my number is dropping overnight or if it's just the full afternoon sun that is depleting it. I DON'T WANT THE ALGAE TO COME BACK! I've come too far for it to return on me.

I'll just answer the last part, about swimming at shock levels....the higher the chlorine, the more risk of skin irritation and ruining your suit. So don't wear a "good" suit and be sure to shower after. I would only get in to brush, vacume etc., I wouldn't let the kids in to swim unless it was under 10 (of course the higher the CYA that changes things....but your CYA level that'd be fine.

Assuming your pool has full sun, I could reasonably see you losing 3.5 ppm during the day.

Waiting for your test results on baited breath....LOL :wink:

Added 96 oz. of bleach to bring FC up to 21. Just scrubbed again and changed the filter. Will keep an eye on the FC level throughout the day to make sure it stays at shock level. Will test the water again tonight and first thing in the am. Number should be the same overnight if the algae is dead correct? I'm going on day 8 and the water is still cloudy but there is sight of the bottom. It hasn't gotten any clearer for the last 3 days or so as I thought it should given the many filter changes and brushings. Is there something I'm missing? Besides POP! :lol: This pool is about to wear me out! I've told hubby that if he makes one more crack about me and this pool, when the water clears, he's NOT allowed in! :rant:

austinsmom01 said:
Added 96 oz. of bleach to bring FC up to 21. Just scrubbed again and changed the filter. Will keep an eye on the FC level throughout the day to make sure it stays at shock level. Will test the water again tonight and first thing in the am. Number should be the same overnight if the algae is dead correct? I'm going on day 8 and the water is still cloudy but there is sight of the bottom. It hasn't gotten any clearer for the last 3 days or so as I thought it should given the many filter changes and brushings. Is there something I'm missing? Besides POP! :lol: This pool is about to wear me out! I've told hubby that if he makes one more crack about me and this pool, when the water clears, he's NOT allowed in! :rant:

You tell him! :grrrr:

Did you test for cc's? What was the result?

Sounds like a good plan of action, I don't think you're missing anything else. STaying on top of it all day if you can will help speed things along, because you will lose some FC from the sun.

Try and enjoy your day nonetheless!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.