Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Strange things are afoot at TFP?

1. Back To Top    #1

Strange things are afoot at TFP?

Preface - I am not a computer person. Please don't laugh if I say something dumb.

I think the new TFP is having a strange unpredictable effect on my computer. Since the update I have had ~15 incidents where my screens just go black, and cannot be resurrected without hard-booting the laptop. Using the docking station and external monitors, or the laptop screen. I'm using Firefox.

I started taking notes (which programs, etc) after the first few times, and every time I've been logged in to TFP. It actually makes me afraid to come to the site!

Am I just paranoid, or could there actually be some issue? New browser? Gremlins? Root beer spilled in the computer?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Strange things are afoot at TFP?

I have been using Firefox here and Chrome at home without issue.

There are some strange things going on in the Mod world, but not heard anything about locking up computers.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

No problems here, firefox has been working fine for me. Have you run a virus/malware scan recently? Currently I like malwarebytes as a first run when I am suspicious.

Also, what version of FF are you running?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

1. Have you asked Butterfly to release all your pods?

2. Do you think it's time to upgrade the IBM XT 8088 with that 16 Meg hard Drive and 8k of RAM?

Ok, OK, I know I am not funny but I can report no new OS issues since we switched. I am using
    Chrome and all is well for now
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

The best place to start looking is in your system logs for Windows. What version of Windows are you using? It is highly unlikely that a Web Page is causing your issue. When your screen goes black do you still have a mouse pointer? The next time it happens, hold down Control, ALT, and press delete. You should see a window pop up. Choose the Task Manager. Click the applications tab and click Firefox and click end task at the bottom and see if your desktop resumes. Post the results.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

6. Back To Top    #6

Since this is my computer at work, we have scans run automatically each week.

ComputerGuy, no, there's nothing...no mouse pointer, etc. When I'm using the dock the screens immediately go into standby (no signal). I can try to bring up the task manager, but can't tell if it happens or not!

Maybe I shouldn't be on TFP at work......?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

7. Back To Top    #7

I've had no problems using Chrome.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Firefox here. Maybe your java?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

9. Back To Top    #9

Check and see if your flash player needs updating.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Does it also happen when the unit is not docked? If your monitor goes into standby it is losing the signal from the computer. I assume the power light is still lit on the computer. Have you noticed if there is any activity on the hard drive as indicated by flashing of the hard drive light after this happens? Take notice of this the next time it happens. When it does happen, look for a symbol on one of the function keys on the keyboard. It will most likely have an icon of one or two monitors on it. When you lose sync on the external monitor hold down the Function key and press the key with the monitor(s) on it and see if the laptop screen comes on. If it does not, press the key combination again and see if anything happens. It could be a malfunction in the dock or the connector on the bottom of the laptop that makes the connection to the dock. Try bypassing the dock and connecting the monitor directly to the laptop as well as the keyboard and mouse. Activate the external monitor by pressing the key combination described above. Run the system this way and see if the problem occurs. There is nothing I know of that displays or runs in a web browser that would cause your monitor to lose sync and enter standby mode. This is not to say that it is not possible, just highly unlikely.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

11. Back To Top    #11

Hey.... So that's what blew out my Power Supply!!!!

I'll be PMing Duraleigh later to see about reimbursing me for that $75.00
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

No problems here either.
    I just miss the button that used to be at the bottom of each page that would take you back to the topics. Now it takes a few more clicks to get there.
    Hey Dave, any chance of getting that button back?
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

13. Back To Top    #13

Pool Clown, I have added the "breadcrumbs" line to the bottom, which I believe is what you are asking for.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Was that there all along?? Or did you (just) add it?
    Either way, thanks!
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

15. Back To Top    #15

I just added it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

Well, my video card, fans, and heatsinks were just replaced. We'll see. At least for now, I won't be afraid to visit the site!