Need help sizing pump and filter replacement

Hello,
My pump died and needs to be replaced. Also, last summer I noticed that the top of my filter housing was leaking from cracks in the lid. I replaced the top of the filter housing. Just before my pump died I noticed that the same kinds of leaks were starting around the drain hole in the bottom.

My pool is 10,000 gallons. It has a Solar heating system and Saltwater generator. It has a capped line for a waterfall and a working Jacuzzi bench.
The existing filter is a 200 sq. ft. Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge filter.
The existing pump is a 2hp Pentair Whisperflo.

My initial plan was to just replace the bottom housing of the filter and a 2hp two speed pump. My biggest concern from researching my options is that this is overkill for my existing system. So, I may benefit from cost and energy savings if i downsized both the filter and the pump.

Any thoughts?

I would stick with the same or larger filter size.

Since you have a spa bench you probably need the flow that your 2 hp pump delivers so going to a 2-speed motor is probably a good idea. If the wet end of the pump is still good I'd suggest just replacing the motor.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

A 2HP Whisperflo is a BIG pump ... only reason I can think of being that big would be to run the waterfall and Jacuzzi bench at the same time. When you turn on the Bench do you divert ALL the flow to the jets? Are they too strong? If so, then you could likely get a smaller pump and a 2speed is certainly a good idea.

I think the 200 sqft filter is a fine size for your pool (if not slightly larger than you "need", but for cartridges there really is no such thing as too big). Likely a little large due to the very large pump and flow rate.

How high are your solar panels and how big of an array?

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Welcome to tfp, wrgrossman :wave:

I too agree with replacing the motor so that your jac jets still work acceptably. We can give you suggests for the motor if you post the model number of your whisperflo pump, or if you can't find that post a pick of the motor label.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.