Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Time to for New Filter System---Looking for DIY Install posts

1. Back To Top    #1

Time to for New Filter System---Looking for DIY Install posts

Just got a new Hayward Maxflo VS and love it....My pool is 20 years old and my filtration is currently 2 huge Baker Hydro cartridges that sit under my skimmer baskets on the suction side. The pool guy says filtration wasnt meant to be sucked through filters and I should consider a real Cartridge Filter System like the Pentair Clean and Clear 420 SF. So I am looking for a couple of things...
    1. Will this be more efficient than my current setup?
    2. Is there a post here that details DIY Install...is this any more difficult than installing my pump?
    3. Any posts that review various cartridge filter system manufacturers/models and sizes? Hayward, Pentair, etc.
    I read the pool school and decided that a larger cartridge filter system is what I would like to go with.
    Thanks in advance for any help or direction to other posts that can help me.
    IG Gunnite Pool Size: 25K gallons (20 x 40, 3'6" to 6" depth) with 2 huge Baker Hydro cartridge filters under the skimmer baskets on the suction side, 2 mech timers
    BRAND NEW PLASTER! Quartzscapes/Diamondbrite, Newer Polaris 280, Brand New Hayward Maxflo VS, Brand New Pentair Intelichlor
    I will conquer the black algae this pool season!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Time to for New Filter System---Looking for DIY Install posts

1. Probably. Since you are reducing your suction head loss.

2. If you did the pump, the filter is no harder ... There is no electrical

3. The major brands are all pretty similar.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If you do get a new filter, we would recommend as minimums for your pool size:

Cartridge 400 sq. ft.
    Sand 4.91 sq. ft.
    DE 6072 sq. ft.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks so much for posting! I appreciate you taking the time to help me learn.
    IG Gunnite Pool Size: 25K gallons (20 x 40, 3'6" to 6" depth) with 2 huge Baker Hydro cartridge filters under the skimmer baskets on the suction side, 2 mech timers
    BRAND NEW PLASTER! Quartzscapes/Diamondbrite, Newer Polaris 280, Brand New Hayward Maxflo VS, Brand New Pentair Intelichlor

5. Back To Top    #5

Looking at the Pentair Clean and Clear Plus CCP420 Cartridge 420 sq. ft. In Ground Pool Filter available for $750 from what I can find online. Anyone have any raves/rants about this unit?

6. Back To Top    #6

Just a note, I included a slightly lower than our typical recommendation for the DE filter above...I should have posted 72 sq. ft. for DE.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

We have many members that seem to really like the big C&C filters.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by mrswhitsie View Post
    Looking at the Pentair Clean and Clear Plus CCP420 Cartridge 420 sq. ft. In Ground Pool Filter available for $750 from what I can find online. Anyone have any raves/rants about this unit?
    Pentair's CCP420 is a fine choice. I've been installing the Waterway Crystal Water cartridge filters (325, 425, or 525 sq ft) for the past 5+ years with great results. Search for the 425 version - model #570-0425. I just saw it listed for ~$560 with a whopping $110 for shipping. That's still about $80 lower than the price you found for the CCP420.

If it makes a difference, the Waterway is manufactured in the good old USA!

Steve
    APSP Certified Building Professional
    APSP Certified Service Professional
    NSPF Certified Pool Operator

9. Back To Top    #9

The Pentair filter can be had at http://poolandspasupply.com/ for $699.99.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by sargent View Post
    The Pentair filter can be had at http://poolandspasupply.com/ for $699.99.
    Have you or anyone ever purchased from this site before?

11. Back To Top    #11

I bought my Hayward cartridge filter from them. No problems at all with them or the filter.

14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG