How to test Sta-Rite SR400NA Heater Blower Motor??

jduck1

Aug 30, 2013
I have two SR400na heaters. One is older and only runs on 120v the other has the plugs in the control box that let you switch out to run 240v (Red plug) or 120v (black plug).

On the old style the blower motor only has three wires going to the blower motor: White, Black, and Green. I wired a plug from an outlet and hooked up the white to white, and black to black and the blower motor came on. Test complete.

On the newer heater the blower motor has a six wire plug: White, Black, Green, Yellow, Red, and Blue. Is there a way I can test this motor seperate from being connected to the rest of the system by wiring it to a plug like I did with the old style motor? Or how do I test the blower without it being installed into a pool yet?

My goal is to use the most updated parts that are in the best condition to make one good heater and then know what parts are still good for spares incase something goes wrong down the line.

Thanks,
Jeff

The six wire plug allows for the motor to run on either 120 or 240. There is usually a wiring diagram located inside the unit to reference for troubleshooting. Look at it and I'm pretty sure it will identify which wire is what on the motor.

This is from Pentair. I won't comment on how to hook it up. Mainly because i haven't ever needed to test a blower off the heater. I suggest you plug the blower into the heater already hooked up to power and test that way. If you have a different plug, Pentair makes and ships with new blowers, a conversion plug. If you call them, they may sell/ give you one.

Good Luck.

Thanks for all the feedback. I figured it wasn't going to be easy so i will take the advise of testing it once I get it all hooked up and installed into the system.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.