Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What size fitting is this?

1. Back To Top    #1

What size fitting is this?

Noob question: My inground pool is drained and I need to replace the liner. I also want to replace my old fiberoptic light system with a retrofit LED either from Jandy or Next Step. Both of their products say they will fit a standard 1.5 inch return fitting. I took apart the fitting face plate and pulled out the existing fiberoptic light. The diameter of the female threads of the fitting are just under 2 inches. I don't have access from the pool deck to the pipe behind it. Any idea what size?

fitting.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What size fitting is this?

That looks like a fitting made for that light. Hayward and Jandy both have LEDs that will fit a 1.5" type return, but I'm not sure if either will work in your fitting.

Did that light just pull straight out, or did you have to twist?

3. Back To Top    #3

The light pulled straight out, but there was a plastic cap that I had to twist off first.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think fiberstar lens fit standard 1½" threaded fittings. The size shown is right for a 1½" threaded fitting, but I can't tell if it's threaded internally.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes there are female threads on the inside of that fitting behind the tape measure. Does this mean it is likely a standard 1½" fitting even though the threads measure about 1.9"? I don't want to spend 1K on LED lights if they are not going to fit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Typical 1½" threaded fittings have an OD of 1.9". It's very easy to check however, Just take a 1½" female threaded adapter or fitting and see if the lens that you took off the light will easily thread into it. If it does, it's 1½" NPT.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Fiberstar used a standard Hayward return, the part # eludes me at this moment.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics