Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What size fitting is this?

1. Back To Top    #1

What size fitting is this?

Noob question: My inground pool is drained and I need to replace the liner. I also want to replace my old fiberoptic light system with a retrofit LED either from Jandy or Next Step. Both of their products say they will fit a standard 1.5 inch return fitting. I took apart the fitting face plate and pulled out the existing fiberoptic light. The diameter of the female threads of the fitting are just under 2 inches. I don't have access from the pool deck to the pipe behind it. Any idea what size?

fitting.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What size fitting is this?

That looks like a fitting made for that light. Hayward and Jandy both have LEDs that will fit a 1.5" type return, but I'm not sure if either will work in your fitting.

Did that light just pull straight out, or did you have to twist?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

The light pulled straight out, but there was a plastic cap that I had to twist off first.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think fiberstar lens fit standard 1½" threaded fittings. The size shown is right for a 1½" threaded fitting, but I can't tell if it's threaded internally.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes there are female threads on the inside of that fitting behind the tape measure. Does this mean it is likely a standard 1½" fitting even though the threads measure about 1.9"? I don't want to spend 1K on LED lights if they are not going to fit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Typical 1½" threaded fittings have an OD of 1.9". It's very easy to check however, Just take a 1½" female threaded adapter or fitting and see if the lens that you took off the light will easily thread into it. If it does, it's 1½" NPT.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Fiberstar used a standard Hayward return, the part # eludes me at this moment.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics